Opinion on an in ground pool- I live in Connecticut

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Kids are young, so I want a pool. The options are vinyl, fiberglass or gunite. Considering a Fiberglass pool, but keep hearing they aren't good for cold weather applications. The price is right; can anyone advise me here please? Thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
keep it heated year round and you wont have a problem

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
That will be quite expensive; if that is what I need to do in order to have fiberglass in CT, then I might go with gunite.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Had a vinyl pool growing up. It served its purpose but had liners to deal with.

Our current gunite pool was installed in 1984. The bottom needs painted, pool guy recommends having replasted, but other than that it’s help up well

bigdee

Commander
I have had my vinyl 16x32x8 since 1982 and am on 4th liner. I replaced them myself <$500 when DIY. Also highly recommend salt system for low maintenance.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
FWIW, gunite has a 15 year life expectancy prior to re-surfacing. and for a 9500 gallon pool, its about $6k for resurface. the guys start in a bit more than a week for our pool

when you live in cold climates, the pool needs to be able to handle freezing without breaking.

the vinyl pools expand

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
FWIW, gunite has a 15 year life expectancy prior to re-surfacing. and for a 9500 gallon pool, its about $6k for resurface. the guys start in a bit more than a week for our pool
Darn....either it’s expensive down there or my neighbor (his father installed the pool) is quoting one heck of a deal. $7,200 for 27k gallon pool

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Everything is expensive down here. it would be about $2k less for plaster, however we are going with one of the pebble coatings now, and new glass tile, etc.

and it sounds like your getting a deal.

bigdee

Commander

when you live in cold climates, the pool needs to be able to handle freezing without breaking.

the vinyl pools expand

Wow......I will sick with the vinyl pool. A new liner every 10 years for a 20,000 gallon pool is a heck of alot cheaper!!