Helicoil advice

captmello

Captain
I'm helping a friend with an old tractor, '56 oliver super 55. One of the timing cover bolts broke off and he drilled it out of the block. we're thinking a helicoil might work but neither of us have any experience with them. it's cast iron and we have about 5/8 - 3/4 of an inch in depth to work with. the original bolt was 1/4" or 5/16. can anyone tell me if this would be a good place for a helicoil?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, loc-tite the helicoil in place

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yup, perfect spot to use the helicoil, that is what they are designed for, I would use red loctite in that particular application.,

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You can install Time Serts too, lots of tutorial videos on YouTube. Need to order the correct M bolt size/diam, lenght and thread pitch.

M8 x 1.25 x 16.jpg
If its a DIY work will need special tools to install Helicoils or Time Serts.

Happy Boating

harringtondav

Commander
Keep us posted. I've had a few near misses but never had to install Helicoils. My understanding is a special installation tool is needed to thread then in and break off the tab. True?

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Usually you can buy a kit with the proper drill bit, install tool and for the tang you can use anything that fits in the hole.

I install these as part of my job and am on the fence about the loctite.

bigdee

Commander
If there is room to drill and tap for next size bolt I prefer that method.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
^^^ +1.
If you have a good fastener shop nearby you could probably use a metric size that would put you between the current UNC fastener and the next size up. Minimises up-sizing effect.