Well picking up a new to me motor in the morning....???

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I was able to trade a shotgun for a 1964 Mercury Model 650 4 cylinder motor, long shaft, electric start alternator model, I don't seem to be able to get a close figure of what this thing might weigh. Anybody have a good guess, or documentation on much it weighs, I have an engine crane here at the house, but the guy I am trading with, does not, so it will be two men and a small woman loading this thing in my truck. I just need to figure out if I need to buy extra beer today to convince another buddy to go with me and the wife to pick it up(Literally) or if just a couple of us can do it.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Two is ok,
three is better,
one each side, one just holding/ balancing the skeg end,

Thats what worked for us with my son's 65 hp merc years ago

matt167

Captain
I think the '73 650 is a 3cyl, a different animal. The Merc 800/850 is the 4cyl cousin to the 4cyl 650 and they weigh about 250 in LS configuration

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well came out pretty good on this trade, gave him my older shotgun, got the Mercury 650, all the controls, key still there, shock tubes on it for the tilt and trim and as I was getting ready to leave, he brings out another shotgun, tells me when he goes to eject a spent shell all of the other one fall out of the magazine..and he gives me virtually the exact same shotgun that does not work correctly as the good one I just gave him.

In addition I have all the full logs on the work that has been done on this engine for the last 15 years, he used to take it to the shop every spring and had his boat engine mechanic go through and make sure everything was correct.