Win 7 laptop died, replced with win 10

alldodge

Staff member
I spilled sme wire on the keyboard and short time after, it hung and would not turn ON. Tried a bunch of different things but no good so bought a Dell xps15 with win 10

Removed the drive from the old computer (2.5 serial ATA) and connected the cable to USB port. At first I couldn't get at the user files, so I tried to share it with the admin account on the new, and it worked. The sharing tasked never asked for the password for the other account. Prior I even tried to run as admin, but there was nothing in the list to request.

Info, if anyone gets your drive, there is no special software needed to get into the info

Don't really like 10 but trying to get use to it. Figure if it really bugs me enough with the different resets I might try wipe and try to install win 7 pro

fishrdan

Admiral
You can install a free program called "Classic Shell" to make Win10 look and feel like Win7.

Win7 is going end of life by MS the beginning of next year, so I wouldn't install Win7. And yes, I like Win7 MUCH better than Win10.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm about ready to load 7 but not sure if there are drivers for everything that makes up this laptop.

I wanted abobe reader and used the ms app and it installed adobe something. Changed the setting to make it default and when 10 did an update it changed it back to the edge product.

This time I went to adobe and downloaded the reader and installed. Wanting to see if it changes

matt167

Captain
Intel does not support/ provide drivers for Win 7 for CPU's past the 7th gen chips. You may trick it and get it running but it won't give you 100% of the performance you paid for..

Big reason on why my main computer is a Dell Precision T3500, which is a 10 year old workstation. It's as fast as a modern midrange Ryzen system, basically. but supports Windows 7. Once 7 is dead though, I'm moving to a newer platform

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Win 10 is the biggest burr under my saddle. Win 7 is so much more stable. Ever time there is a win 10 update, half a day is wasted.

alldodge

Staff member
Probably should have gone with a Mac. Is there an option to change over to Linux maybe? Not sure I would go that route either but just wondering

The home computer is running win7 pro with a raid controller and external auto backup drive. Its old and works great but its only used for record keeping of the home. It doesn't even need a network connection and I normally keep the wifi disconnected (air gapped). Would hate to loose things on it, hence why some much back up

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Your really boxing yourself in a corner running Window 7

i didn’t have a favorable impression of Windows 10 until I was forced into It to support the I8 processor and the latest version of Office.

With a year of experience on W10 under my belt, I don’t miss Windows 7 one bit. The Cloud support alone is worth the switch

bigdee

Commander
. Is there an option to change over to Linux maybe? Not sure I would go that route either but just wondering

Yes and it is very easy to try without changing a thing on your computer. You can put the Lubuntu O.S. on a USB stick and boot from it and still keep your Windows 7. If you like it you can then install on your hardrive. Lubuntu is a light version of Ubuntu. I have been using Linux for over 19 years and have never looked back. Best of all it is free to download and use. Just go to https://www.pendrivelinux.com/put-lubuntu-on-a-flash-drive-using-windows/

alldodge

Staff member
Could be but so long as the hardware doesn't die, I should be ok, it stays turned off most its life.

At least office 07 and wordperfect 12 installed on win 10 so didn't have to spend more

alldodge

Staff member
Yes and it is very easy to try without changing a thing on your computer. You can put the Lubuntu O.S. on a USB stick and boot from it and still keep your Windows 7. If you like it you can then install on your hardrive. Lubuntu is a light version of Ubuntu. I have been using Linux for over 19 years and have never looked back. Best of all it is free to download and use. Just go to https://www.pendrivelinux.com/put-lubuntu-on-a-flash-drive-using-windows/

You mean keep win 10?

alldodge

Staff member
Anyway to get this thing from using bing to search with?

Changed the default from bing to google and the home page, but when a new tab is launched, its bing. So if I start a new tab I can then select home and it goes to google

Have also see win is saying not to install firefox or chrome on this version.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they took away a few things with the latest updates. it used to be easy to disable cortana and bing / internet exploder, etc. however that went away a few updates ago. My default browser is firefox (let me check some of the settings).

I am running classic shell as I hate the win 10 interface.

harringtondav

Commander
Windows loves their Edge and bing, and sets up obstacles to make it a hassle to change. You can install Internet Explorer and tack it to your taskbar, and delete Edge from the taskbar. Then search for Google, open it, and with Google the only open tab, set it as "use current page" as your home page in 'Internet options".

I'm using Firefox just fine on all my W10 machines. I switched from "Internet Exploder" because IE refused to open a .PDF page. No problems with Firefox. That MS urging to not use Firefox or Chrome is just territoralism.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks guys

I'm using FF on my shop computer and do like it.

aspeck

Staff member
I use classic shell to give me the Win7 feel. I now prefer 10 over 7, except for the updates and having windows reset my defaults! GRRRR! But a quick trip to settings and choosing my search engine and default browser, and you should be good to go and get around Edge. You cannot delete Edge, but you can remove it from your default browser, the start menu, the task bar, and your desktop so you will almost never see it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Anyway to get this thing from using bing to search with?

Changed the default from bing to google and the home page, but when a new tab is launched, its bing. So if I start a new tab I can then select home and it goes to google

Have also see win is saying not to install firefox or chrome on this version.
Go to Setting, APPs, Default APPS. Your list of options is pretty much unlimited.

Can define Apps use down to file type level. Far beyond anything Windows 7 had to offer.

alldodge

Staff member
Go to Setting, APPs, Default APPS. Your list of options is pretty much unlimited.

Can define Apps use down to file type level. Far beyond anything Windows 7 had to offer.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work so far as I can see. The web browser is edge, and if I go to ms store there is nothing there that would help. I just don't want bing to show up unless I want it to.

Really like FF, might just go that route