The Latest project - A John Deere 2240

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
John Deere 2240 4wd finally made it's way to my yard. It has not run in about 6 years, has a new clutch, needs TONS of things to get it running

It's a 1981 diesel 3 cylinder 50 Hp
Has a 145 Loader - That needs TONS of welding
Tires - Bad Rear wheels need replacing too Needs tires.....
or and the Bell Crank needs replacing because there is more free play in the steering then in a bumper car!
The seat needs some help

I figure with 4WD, some chains (Which I don't have yet) and the bucket I might use it for the driveway in the Winter

I am in the process of removing the bucket to get to the starter motor. What a crazy design but that's the way it works. The started will be replaced with new when I finally get inside there. To remove the bucket I had to remove 3/4" bolts taht my 3/4" impact gun would not move......... Cut off wheel did the trick ;)

Since it does not run....... it does not move - yet. It is real project.

So far I have learned that -
If it is John Deere - it costs real money
It is heavy (about 7500) when all the tires are loaded
and just like a boat - CHECK everything (twice)
It has been neglected for the past 6-8 years but deserves saving

Attachments

• photo312512.jpg
    photo312512.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo312513.jpg
    photo312513.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo312514.jpg
    photo312514.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo312515.jpg
    photo312515.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not that bad. I think most of it will buff out. lol

You have a "REAL" project there. Keep us posted on the progress...

harringtondav

Commander
That is a Deere 3029 engine Bob. Three cyl, 2.9L Likely produced in Dubuque IA. It's a wet sleeve engine, fairly easy to rebuild. The cyl liners are pulled out of the block and replaced. That engine produces up to 75 hp, and with that mechanical injection pump, I believe you can turn yours up to a 75 hp. The same engine across all hp models. Power set at the factory at the injection pump. I was a Deere Area Service Manager in the mid 80s, and had the tech. manual for this engine at the time. Now I wish I hadn't pitched it.

That engine is still in production, and it's torquey. I've seen them loaded on the test cell dyno to where you can count the strokes and it just won't kill.

It has power steering, so the steering wheel travel is in manual pump mode with the engine off. It may tighten up once you get the engine started.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/search/type/model/term/2240

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/65034

Bob_VT

Staff member
Actually it is a 3179DL but yes I believe it is the same exact motor. Trust me the bell crank is SHOT and there are even notes from a John Deere dealer from years ago on that. Yeah this is a project and it is also an electrical nightmare because of the unknown people who have been into the wiring

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Finally! A project meant to use Woodonglass tractor paint! :D

just like a boat

How much does a JD 3179DL impeller kit go for these days? :watermelon:

Can the starter be rebuilt or too far gone? Thinking that might save some JD Bucks for other stuff cuz a new starter goes for a lot.

Can't wait to see the tractor wheels turning on their own, Bob.

Bob_VT

Staff member
It is an electrical NIGHTMARE and as far as the starter....... bosch replacements are cheap. If I have to remove the bucket assembly then the brackets and spacers just to get to the starter .....then yes replacing the starter is absolutely worth the money.

Now there are relays, safety switches and a tom of other wiring gremlins - add that to whomever has been inside there in the past 30 years and it's worse then an outboard! Being a diesel there is a plus - no coil pack ;) but it has a cute injector pump!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Anyway you can get a wiring diagram for your tractor from the manufacturer? Either way, just work one circuit at a time as you stumble through the rats nest. And straighten/untangle and label as you go. Wish you good luck!

Bob_VT

Staff member
Yep I have the John Deere 2040 and 2240 Tractor Technical Manual TM-1221 on hand

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
They are indeed fun to work on, I have worked on a few of them over the years and sometimes just sit and shake my head at the wiring nests people think will work.

I was just looking at a newer one this morning and talking to the dealer that has it in Ohio, it is a JD 2305 with the mower deck and the front loader and I can get a hell of a deal on it, only 54 hours on the 3 cyl diesel engine, he said it runs and drives like new.

Bob_VT

Staff member
Well of course NOTHING is labeled or the labels have been lost....... I have work to do .....

Bob_VT

Staff member
New starter and It's ALIVE!!!! :) I have to jump across on the starter because of the wiring mess but it lives!

Leaks everywhere too........this is a project.

But, hearing the diesel purr is great sounds to me.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's May 24th - Your scheduled start of Winter might be July 5th year. Better hurry! :lol:

Half the battle is behind you, Bob. :thumb: With the wiring mess - Electron leaks, too. :eek:

Did you try moving forward and backward a little? I know you had the urge. :D

Bob_VT

Staff member
No moving yet. I had to disconnect the front loader to remove brackets to get to the starter...... It was a PITA but I will re-assemble with new bolts and never seize.

of course NOTHING electrical works - no gauges etc and yes I am very anxious to use that bucket. I will replace the brackets this week.

Bob_VT

Staff member
Okay remounted the bucket loader and cranked it up..... OIL SHOWER!!!! Yes a pinhole leak in the hydraulic line so now I won't worry about me rusting....... off to the hydraulic hose repair shop only to hear "wow I don't think we have a swivel end like that......" oh well..... hopefully by Friday I will get a repaired hose and start again. At least it was cold clean hydraulic oil and not the hot burning stuff.

harringtondav

Commander
Even after 30+ yrs with the outfit, I'm still amazed Deere uses the same transmission oil sump for drive trail lube, steering, brakes and hydraulics. So hyd. filter maintenance is critical.

If you find yourself needing a new hyd pump, I'd spend the extra money and get a Deere, not an aftermarket. One of my last jobs was managing the Waterloo service parts factory. The pumps and key pressure controls are still made and 100% tested there.

Bob_VT

Staff member
So it begins..... I finally removed the bucket and towed and pushed this beast into my garage. It's CLUTCH time and it's a first for me but I am going to break this in half

Clutch first
Bellcrank is also high on the list
Hydraulic leaks

This is going to be interesting

MRS

Commander
Deere you do have some work to do. I did a H and a L.A. was fun but a whole lot of work to be had. Good luck in your rebuilt.

Bob_VT

Staff member
Did the split today and found the issue. The throw out bearing carrier was seized to the shaft and the clutch shaft to activate the bearing was also seized solid........ between the rodents that lived in there, the lack of grease and just plain old neglect it was ugly.

Ordered the new parts and wire brushed (With an angle grinder) off everything.

An awful lot of work but it will pay off in the end.