Newish Mr Coffee maker overflows grounds

ezbtr

Commander
Had it a bit over a year(in new house), I think it's always done this??? Gets messy have to rinse out , has the pre filter in disc on top, any ideas??

matt167

Captain
Best thing I did was ditch the peculating coffee maker for a Bunn 10 cup. better coffee, faster. Just have to use Bunn filters or you get a real mess.

In your case, try bunn filters since they are high flow rate. the filters your using might not be flowing enough

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Also, make sure you're using the right grind; if the grind is too fine, it will clog the filter very easily and interfere with liquid passing through. Do you grind your own beans?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ours would do that, the filter would fold over, grounds in the coffee. The wife had picked up new filters, they were short, only went half way up the basket. Turns out the old filters were to tall and would bunch up. Now it works fine.

harringtondav

Commander
My pa in law had that problem. Turned out the height of the filter basket was off a bit - too high. I removed the spring loaded 'pour while brewing' valve which wasn't fully opening. That fixed it, but he had to wait until brewing ended to pour a cup.

ezbtr

Commander
metal permanent filter that came with it,regular/whatever is on sale coffee, I may have to call them

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
metal permanent filter that came with it,regular/whatever is on sale coffee, I may have to call them

Had one of them permanent filters, when cleaning it I found the metal had separated from the plastic in one area. Couldn't see it just by looking, just happened to push on the spot and there it was.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Best thing I did was ditch the peculating coffee maker

Just kind of curious, do you know what a percolator coffee pot is?

A mr carry is a drip coffee maker.

For real coffee, get a vacuum brewer, a syphon coffee maker, or a $15 french press.

71ySs1cQfXL._SL1500_.jpg

P29016890.jpg?impolicy=medium.jpg

51xWV%2BWnciL._SL1000_.jpg

Percolator
71Q7e2XE3bL._SL1500_.jpg

matt167

Captain
Just kind of curious, do you know what a percolator coffee pot is?

A mr carry is a drip coffee maker.

For real coffee, get a vacuum brewer, a syphon coffee maker, or a $15 french press.

Percolator

indeed, I know what a perculator is, and yeah the tecnical term for a Mr Coffee is a drip coffee maker, but it works the same way as a perculator. The water is heated to a boiling temp in the coils in the bottom, which through thermal convection travels up to the spout where the grinds are. The difference between perculator/ drip coffee maker being one shares the water reservoir with the pot itself and the other has seperate reservoir and pot.

I said peculating because the Bunn is also a drip coffee maker but works entirely different using pre heated water, and almost a toilet flush system for the drip to start

ezbtr

Commander
Was thinking spring too, took it out, but the coffee grounds/water mix overflows the metal filter basket

ezbtr

Commander
Coffe maker now not overflowing, cant find old post

After 2 years being busy and annoyed at Mr Coffee maker for overspilling grounds into coffee carafe, tried to mess w/ spring, and a few other things, seems after 3 tests in a row that the blue Maxwell House 100% Columbian medium, works perfect!! WTH????? Tried other red Folgers Black silk, and some other Folgers types didn't, well finally the mystery is solved, hopefully!!!! :)