Octagon Window and Siding

alldodge

Staff member
Getting the materials together to vinyl side our rental house. The house has 2 octagon non-opening windows. They are wood and the molding extends out more the the J-channel.

I want to cover all the wood I can to seal it up, and I have a aluminum brake. I can bend 8 pieces on metal, and try to overlap each and use sealer of some sort. This will take some work and I'm not real sure I will like the outcome.

Thought about removing all of the exterior wood molding and then place aluminum over and around the window, then install J-channel around. Could also install Plastic trim around the window after removing the wood trim, seal and go with J around it.

Most octagon windows have a square hole which has had 2x installed to make it 6 sided. Could remove and replace the windows with a square one, but really don't want to go that route.

Anyone have any opinions?
Other forums that deal with this kind of stuff?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What kind of mounding do you want to wrap ?

You can buy preformed aluminum wraps for most standard window moldings

alldodge

Staff member
What kind of mounding do you want to wrap ?

I want to side the house and do not like the brick molding that is around it now, its quite large and made of wood. So I want to do something including something mentioned in the first post. I want it rain tight so there is next to no maintenance (reason for vinyl siding)

You can buy preformed aluminum wraps for most standard window moldings

Good idea, where can I find this?
I will go looking after posting

alldodge

Staff member

Nope, not what I'm looking for, that is they make a piece and then you cut to fit.
I have a brake and can bend my own aluminum, so I can make brick molding.

I want to cover all the wood I can to seal it up, and I have a aluminum brake. I can bend 8 pieces on metal, and try to overlap each and use sealer of some sort. This will take some work and I'm not real sure I will like the outcome.

Thought about removing all of the exterior wood molding and then place aluminum over and around the window, then install J-channel around. Could also install Plastic trim around the window after removing the wood trim, seal and go with J around it.

The brick molding in the link does not cover the inside of the frame. In pic below, blurry on left is current window, and one on left is from the net. Note the space after the inside edge going to the glass. Also note these guys didn't use J channel on the outside, and for me that looks crappy

octagon.jpg

As mentioned above, maybe remove the molding, then flash and install J channel on the inside edge of the window and bring siding up to it. Use aluminum for the inside of the window which remains and on outside under the J.

Would like something better, and actually don't know what I would get into if I try and remove the exterior molding

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Most octagon windows have a square hole which has had 2x installed to make it 6 sided.

Anyone have any opinions?
Other forums that deal with this kind of stuff?

So they start with a square hole, add 2x to make it six sided, then put an 8 sided window into a six sided hole ?? :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
AD, I would paint the existing brick molding with 2-part epoxy paint, then simply add your J-molding and caulk the seams.

by the time any maintenance is needed, your children would have sold the house from your estate.