Another boating expense...probably

harringtondav

Commander
I built a 60' marine rail boat lift eight years ago when we got our Miss River place S of Dubuque IA. I pull the last 40' of the rail out in the fall. The first 20' of shore structure sets high and dry....under normal conditions.

Well, this year isn't normal. The river was sill iced over when these Midwest thaw floods came. I knew this was likely. Now I get to see how well I built the thing. I designed it for vertical loads. No one can design against flood ice.

Lift and ice.jpgLift and ice2.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A few years back, a family friend was driving to work and noticed a boat shed and boat trailer on a bunch of ice floating out to lake michigan down the east twin river. On second look he recognized it....The ice pushed his boat shed, boat and trailer out with the ice shove.

They recovered the damaged boat, not the shed or trailer. all was a loss

Hope you fare better

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Well consider all the years of maintenance free you "had" and then it all equals out. Yes in VT we deal with Ice damage yearly.

harringtondav

Commander
Well consider all the years of maintenance free you "had" and then it all equals out. Yes in VT we deal with Ice damage yearly.

Yep. I ain't stressing. What will be will be. I knew this day would eventually come. Shake it off, fix it, and wait until the next time.