Fireplace Heat Exchangers...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi everybody. I'm wondering whether anyone here can recommend a source for a heat exchanger for a wood burning fireplace.

I've got a basement family room in which the only source of heat (other than electric) is a good size fireplace. It once had a heat exchanger which did a nice job, but was removed because it was a horror to get under it to remove ashes. I've since decided to replace it, but thought I would put a question to the guys on this forum.

Is there a heat exchanger you can recommend for a full size masonry fireplace? (35" wide, 32" high, 22" deep") As said, I'm looking for something that doesn't have to be removed to get the ashes out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Best bet is with a insert stove Mine is a Squires and uses a fan underneath to blow the hot air
DSCN4523.jpg

upload images

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you can weld, then make one. for years we used a tubular log rack heat exchanger in the fireplace growing up. it was simply heavy wall steel pipe cut with a chop saw and welded together in a c-shape. the ash clean out still worked well, and the heat it threw out was enough to heat the entire 1500 SF house. no fan needed as it works off of convection

dont forget to put the closure caps on at night...... once dad forgot to put the caps on one night when he closed the glass doors and the heat blowing out the tubes instantly destroyed the glass...... lesson learned, never forget the caps at night.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Best bet is with a insert stove Mine is a Squires and uses a fan underneath to blow the hot air[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.ibb.co\/jzcwMjQ\/DSCN4523.jpg"**[/IMG2]
upload images

Dont see that often...exercise equipment that does NOT have clothes hanging on it. Good for you;)

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
if you can weld, then make one. for years we used a tubular log rack heat exchanger in the fireplace growing up. it was simply heavy wall steel pipe cut with a chop saw and welded together in a c-shape. the ash clean out still worked well, and the heat it threw out was enough to heat the entire 1500 SF house. no fan needed as it works off of convection

dont forget to put the closure caps on at night...... once dad forgot to put the caps on one night when he closed the glass doors and the heat blowing out the tubes instantly destroyed the glass...... lesson learned, never forget the caps at night.

I am having a hard time envisioning this...

were there two "c's" placed vertically side by side where the logs lay across the bottoms and the tops of the c point outward?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
6 tubes, 1-1/2" od, starting at bottom opening, back about 3" at 45 degrees, back about 12", up about 12", then out horizontal. Holds logs, coals between bottom tubes