eTorque Mild Hybrid Trucks and SUVs

harringtondav

Commander
Contemplating my next towing vehicle after my 21 yr old Durango dies. I see FCA and Ford are using a "mild hybrid" electric motor/generator to give a the engine a torque boost at the first 1500-2000 rpm of acceleration. These motors also provide regenerative dynamic engine braking at deceleration, and allow ignition shut off at certain conditions.

Do any of you have any experience with this technology?

Some of the vehicles I'm considering are small L4 turbos. These generate amazing HP and torque, but need a little push getting out of the gate.

dolluper

Captain
If your Towing stick with v8 or diesels. The hybrid are a complete headache for heavy duty service they don't last .

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Some of the vehicles I'm considering are small L4 turbos. These generate amazing HP and torque, but need a little push getting out of the gate.
keep in mind HP is a function of rpm.

On paper my Civic SI pumps out a lot of HP. In practice, how often have I run the car up to 6.5k rpm in the 2 years I’ve owned it? Never...

harringtondav

Commander
keep in mind HP is a function of rpm.

On paper my Civic SI pumps out a lot of HP. In practice, how often have I run the car up to 6.5k rpm in the 2 years I’ve owned it? Never...

I agree 100%.
When I spec a vehicle I look at its torque curve. That's what counts in the rpm range I use. I gave up drag racing a long time ago. We have a Dodge Dart 1.4 turbo. 182 ft lb of torque starts at 2400 rpm and stays level until around 5K. DDCT allows me to paddle shift. If I'm over 2500 rpm and want to goose it, I lock the current gear and stomp down. Whoosh.