Do I take it to the curb??

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Cleaning out garage,perfectly working old style tv.Went to the garage when we got our 1st flat screen.Trash?? Donate or will they laugh at me?? Maybe to the smithsonian?? lol Charlie

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Call your local trash facility and inquire about disposing of e-waste.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, goodwill if working. We gave an old TV away to a church store here in the country, it left the same day to someone that didn't have one. Might not be the same in your area, give them a call, they will advise

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Better yet - Salvation Army. SA is non-profit unlike Goodwill.

fishrdan

Admiral
I dropped off a couple working CRT TV's and DVD/VCR players at our local Goodwill drop off location, an unmanned trailer they pickup at every could of days. My guess, someone who needed them, got them, before Goodwill stopped by to pick them up....

fishrdan

Admiral
Put it on the curb with a $10 sign, it will be gone quicker than you can blink an eye.

If you put it on the curb with a "FREE" sign, it will be there for days...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
None of the charities will accept the older tube sets anymore, normally they end up going to the dump

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
My county has a mobile hazardous waste drop-off every month, in various towns. The biggest item being disposed is the old CRT TV. And even some flat screen TV's.

SA and Goodwill in my area will not take them. And if you leave one in an unmanned drop-off, they will fine you if you can be identified.

MRS

Commander
Yup we have a hazardous waste drop-off that takes them just dropped two off myself to make more room in my garage. Now I can walk up to my work bench and use it again.:lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sad but so many charitable places will not take such items anymore. I had 4 perfectly good very nice decorative florescent light fixtures that I removed when we replacement them with can LED lights. I even went through them to make certain they all worked perfectly with no electrical issues and cleaned them up like new. I even had new replacement tubes for them as well. And I took them to a second chance store to donate so others could use them. They refused to take them and actually acted like I should take them to the dump. Sad that such good items are not good enough for people that have nothing. Times sure have changed.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Analog TV signals where discontinued sometime ago. Unless connected to cable, old TVs are useless.

harringtondav

Commander
We sent two perfectly fine tube TVs to our local transfer station. $5 ea for the dump off. As said above, these were worthless w/o a cable converter box. We dumped cable and went to OTA antenna. It took two of us to handle the old 32" tubes. I can carry a 40" flat screen in one arm and a 12 pk with the other hand.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Almost tweaked my back moving the old set,gonna kick it down my freakin driveway and call it a day.I tried to be charitable but it aint worth the effort and def not worth getting hurt over.I will put some extra cash in the collection plate at church on Sun and that will be my good deed.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
It's amazing what they wont take. I tried to donate a functioning, legal plow truck with plow...no takers. Ended up pulling the motor and trans and scraping it. I figured some old folks with a long driveway could use it. They said they dont want their folks to have to take care of their own stuff, they would rather hire a pro company to do it for free. Must be liability or something. It wasn't pretty but lights horn wipers and brakes worked. Trans was fairly new.