MS Office alternatives

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
just ordered a laptop since I'll be turning mine back in a few weeks. I don't want to pay per month/year. I don't need a lot of extra programs. The basic does not include Outlook, which I prefer. Is there viable options? Anything in the mail client aarena that can still pull up my old emails in PST format, or possibly a one time conversion?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joe, not sure there is a conversion.

Outlook PST files sort of go away with Office 365. i agree that paying a monthly or yearly fee is not worth the money. However MS has the world by the short hairs as they are pushing everyone to a fee-based software as they make things obsolete

Im holding out with my office 2010 until it no longer works, then i will most likely just use the web-mail link

then I may move on to Google Docks or something else.

harringtondav

Commander

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You can buy licensed copies of MS Office 2019 for under $60

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Apache OpenOffice is a fairly good replacement for Office. But be aware that it does not have many of the newer features of Office. Also, I don't think OpenOffice can open newer Office documents (xlsx for example), so you would have to save them to an earlier version, in Office.

bigdee

Commander
Apache OpenOffice is a fairly good replacement for Office. But be aware that it does not have many of the newer features of Office. Also, I don't think OpenOffice can open newer Office documents (xlsx for example), so you would have to save them to an earlier version, in Office.

I am using Libre office (free) and it opens MS xlsx files.

alldodge

Staff member
I use both, MS Office and Word Perfect Office. You can buy the older versions much cheaper

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
being the eternal skeptic, why so cheap? How can they sell for less than MS is, and with Outlook included?

$49 looks to be expensive now.....https://www.ebay.com/i/333029350160?chn=ps

No idea. I have the software and a valid code key. That's all I worried about

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019 Includes:
• Microsoft Word 2019
• Microsoft Excel 2019
• Microsoft PowerPoint 2019
• Microsoft Access 2019
• Microsoft Outlook 2019
• Microsoft One Note 2019
• Microsoft Publisher 2019
• Microsoft Lync / Skype for Business

NYBo

Admiral
LibreOffice and Mozilla Thunderbird. I have an Office XP license and disk but it's too out of date for me. Email accounts in Outlook have to be configured manually.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
So went with the $99 annual for multiple devices - in case my wife joins me in the unemployment line (she works for same company)

What about security? What is free and good nowadays?