Polaris Ace Dead

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well I stupidly over drew the winch while plowing today.All power is gone ,totally dead machine.I checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they look good.Any suggestions on where to look ? Fried battery cable?OR?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Clean and tighten the battery connectors. Other than having 4 wheels and no prop, it's just like a boat. :D

And use a meter to check for voltage on the usual suspects, like anywhere starting at the battery posts, not on the connectors.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Clean and tighten the battery connectors. Other than having 4 wheels and no prop, it's just like a boat. :D

And use a meter to check for voltage on the usual suspects, like anywhere starting at the battery posts, not on the connectors.

Thanks for the kickstart.Battery was or is totally fried.0 volts at the batt and no test light lightup.Must of fried it when I pulled the winch in too far .4500 lb winch is pretty big for that atv.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess is you do not have an in-line circuit breaker, and when you dead-headed the winch, it drew enough to over-heat the battery causing an internal short.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Scott how would I go about putting in a circuit breaker .Would it go on the battery cable ?

GA_Boater

Are the rest of the electrical circuits fuse protected? If yes, then add a CB inline with the power feed to the winch. That way if the breaker pops from an overload, you can still drive the beast into the garage to fix it if needed.

A manual or a search online should give you the breaker rating needed.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Thinking back on when I put in that winch I was sure there was a breaker .I will double check I bet the damn thing doesn't work .If there isn't one I will be getting one soon.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Found the solution to all my problems.An extreme metal products front brush guar with winch mount.I t will put my winch much higher than the stock location which is wat to low .Will keep the mud and crap off the winch a lot better also.Seeing as how I was looking to get a front guard anyways this kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

GA_Boater

Found the solution to all my problems.An extreme metal products front brush guar with winch mount.I t will put my winch much higher than the stock location which is wat to low .Will keep the mud and crap off the winch a lot better also.Seeing as how I was looking to get a front guard anyways this kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

But is the thing starting yet? :smile:

Higher mount has to be better and keep junk off the cable.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yes it starts ,bought a new agm battery.As is the cable to lift the plow is way to close to the ground so when I try to lift the plow it goes into the fairlead pretty easily if your not 100 percent on top of it.I also installed a 20 amp maxi fuse inline with the power on the winch so if it tries to drawn anymore it will pop instead of frying the battery.I thought I toasted the agm the other day but she came back to life after a few hours and a recharge .Amazing actually the damn battery was pretty hot!Must be way tuffer than the regular types .

82rude

Rear Admiral
Heres a picture of the brushguard im going for .My winch right now is near the bottom.
F98789880.jpg
F98789880.jpg
th

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You're only going to use a 20 amp breaker for that? Sounds a little weak for that winch. It will probably pop the first time you use it. What does the factory suggest? JMHO

82rude

Rear Admiral
Was ok today.Id rather pop a fuse than toast another battery .I can always take the fuse out and go up if necessary .I believe the original breaker is 30 amp but I feel that was too high for my system.Im no electrician but I was told to try that .Right now the winch is too low for the plow hookup which that brushguard will rectify .Never did like where the winch was mounted as its to prone to being in the water or mud.If I bury the atv I could possibly have a had time getting to the winch and almost impossible to switch it to freewheel.I will take a pic of the system as it is now and you will see.

82rude

Rear Admiral
gm280 that is not my actual bike its a file picture to show the brush guard id like.I would suppose my winch should be similar though as I have a 4000lb winch .Bit of an over kill I admit but it was 119 cnd on sale .Its got 3 stage gearing and their also metal not plastic gears like some.A warn winch would of cost approx. 500 cnd plus .Amazingly its a heavy well built winch and came with everything including mounting plate .

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well today I ordered the brush guard.Should be in Soo Michigan in about a week.It will serve the purpose (dual) to fix my winching issues and protect the front end .

82rude

Rear Admiral
I figure I should get some syn rope for the winch also ,seeing as how I will have it off anyways.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Checked the tracking of my bumper today.Its doing something only rockstars get to do.Its taking a 50 city tour of the U.S.A. courtesy of fedex.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Grrrrrrrrr Fedex and I do not get along I feel your pain. They are the worst to use in VT. Just a side note My Warn 2500 on my wheeler was constantly snapping cables due to plowing. I went to a heavier cable which was a challenge to insert it into the drum because it was thicker but I stripped off a few strands and made it work. Have not had any problems since.

I have found plowing is the toughest on my wheeler.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yeh, everytime I get a tracking number and its fedex I just start trembling in fear!As much as we like bitching about our respective govt services Canada Post and U.SP.S. have been the best.Some how my cable on the winch has got jammed but good and im going to have to cut it out.I was wrong and my winch is only 4000lb not 45 .I ordered a 6000lb synth rope from Ranger for a real good price.Same size as the 4000 one .