Just now · The Death of Cable TV...at our house

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
OTA will never be a realistic goal where I live, streaming is iffy most of the time because I am limited to 1.5, so I went back to Dish, so I can watch the 6 channels that matter to us. There is always a trade off to living remote, but we have been here for over 20 years now, so I guess we are used to paying more and being underserved!

alldodge

Staff member
Have Dish and just changed from America top 120 to Flex pack and save about 13 a month and no change in the channels we watch

ezbtr

Commander
I'm looking at just Netflix (had it for years) and Hulu(local channels), this $190 a month is crazy - 200m down, home phone never used and basic plus cable, we just don't watch enough to make it worth it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I got in on a special from Hulu a couple of months ago, I got it for $0.99 a month for a year and I still don't think I have watched anything on it.

:eek:

southkogs

Staff member
I got in on a special from Hulu a couple of months ago, I got it for $0.99 a month for a year and I still don't think I have watched anything on it.

:eek:
Humorously, that's the one I've been watching most lately - I watched the old Hill Street Blues series and am working my way through M*A*S*H* again. I like the older shows better.

ezbtr

Commander
Want live TV/news so an antenna will do that, but gf wants some of the cooking shows, Hulu doesn't stream live, we have Netflix which is great.
What type antenna to use? Neighbors do well with a wall mount one, 20 ish channels, this $180 a month is BS, internet is great at 200 down.

fishrdan

Admiral
I'm using this antenna, ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna (google it), supposedly a "60 mile" antenna. The mountains our local stations have their antennas located is 30 miles away from our house, and the signal is clear as a bell. Though, when I stand on my roof by the antenna, I can see the mountains they are broadcasting from, so it's line of sight...

I can't remember who our old TV provider was, it's been that long, but I bet they love that I mounted the digital OTA antenna on their old dish mount
. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I'm jealous...... as per TV fool I can get one PBS channel - so much for living in a valley with 2600' behind me and 2800' across from me. This time of the year the sunshine is a mere flash for 20 minutes in my yard from the South and my house has a northern facing exposure Cable is big bucks here since there is no competition
I had Dish for a short time and that was not effective either........ I used to have a 12' dish 30 years ago

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm jealous...... as per TV fool I can get one PBS channel - so much for living in a valley with 2600' behind me and 2800' across from me. This time of the year the sunshine is a mere flash for 20 minutes in my yard from the South and my house has a northern facing exposure Cable is big bucks here since there is no competition
I had Dish for a short time and that was not effective either........ I used to have a 12' dish 30 years ago

I honestly can understand your situation. I use to live on a downward side of a mountain and you got what you got...being basically not much. I often wonder if a community went together to install a mountain top receiver for OTA stations, and then re-transmit them to the valley area, if that would ever work? :noidea:

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
OTA will never be a realistic goal where I live, streaming is iffy most of the time because I am limited to 1.5, so I went back to Dish, so I can watch the 6 channels that matter to us. There is always a trade off to living remote, but we have been here for over 20 years now, so I guess we are used to paying more and being underserved!

I'm like Mr.MT..Don't like the 100 bucks a month (Dish); but the pine trees kill the signal..

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Cut the cable 10 years ago and mounted an old style 5' wide directional antenna on same roof mount that had been previously used for the Direct TV dish (also used the same direct TV coaxial cable running into the house). I live a few miles West of Detroit and can easily pull all local stations along with Toledo, OH and Windsor, CA. Currently pulling 48 free OTA channels, although a fair number of the Toledo stations show the same prime time programming as Detroit.
We also use a Roku to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube content, which, despite all the free OTA channels, is 95% of what we watch.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
And this thread is why I'm unemployed today....

but agree. Now way in hell I would pay for what we get for free now. When they fire my wife (acct is in her name) we won't continue service. I'll miss my Sunday ticket, but maybe my Chiefs will do well enough for a few years to keep showing up on national games.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When we cut cable and satellite TV, we lost some shows we liked, not many though. However, it doesn't take long to get used to what you have and settle into new shows OTA. And the cost is perfect. We get 24 channels OTA. Yes some are not much to watch, but others are really nice. Works for me, to coin a phrase from Hunter!

ezbtr

Commander
Just installed indoor antenna(facing south) 24-28 channels, ordered a Roku(borrowing neighbors) and we have Netflix, this should do, I JUST paid hopefully the last $193 Cable/internet/home phone bill!! Argh!!!

alldodge

Staff member
My sister switch Mom from ATT U verse to Iglou and some kind of streaming. So far Mom is happy and she use to have a $160 bill. Need to figure out what they got for her later

ezbtr

Commander
Ditched CATV and home phone(just get robocalls,don't use) today, will be saving $110 a MONTH! Have Roku and Netflix for TV, thats enough! :) Will be looking into using DTV dish came with house, extend coax to inside antenna, 28 channels already

samjonas

Recruit
I too killed my cable 2 months ago... using Amazon Fire TV stick... works fine and satisfied

samjonas

Recruit
Internet TV and The Death of Cable TV, really. Yes, you heard this before. .Comcast cable customers dropped nearly 3% in Q2 compared to last year. In Q2 for the industry overall, a record 711,000 subscribers abandoned cable tv, and six of eight operators suffered their worst quarterly subscriber losses ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.