Dashcam ?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Got a dashcam from my niece for Christmas.It comes with a 4 gb micro sd card.How long can a 4gb card record for?10 minute vid ,15,25,1 hr more?I realise it can be set for endless loop,just wondering so if I want to use it to record while atving or boating how long the vids would be?It doesn't say in the instructions and another question would be are these things up gradeable to say 32 or more gigs?New owner so im clueless about these things.

82rude

Rear Admiral
It doesn't .I was hoping somebody with a dashcam might have an idea.I will try their website.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Depends on the compression method the camera uses, like H.264, and the resolution and frame rate. Full uncompressed 30 fps 1080 HD is about 6 Gb/hour. My dash cam with a 32 GB card will record about 10 minutes per 950 mb, so that's about 5 hours of 1080 HD. So if yours is the same, maybe just under 40 minutes. Longer if yours is 720 HD or uses a slower frame rate.

Keep in mind that many security cams will also use video compression and can record for a week or more on a 32 GB card.

Last edited:

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's a tip that may not be in the manual. If your cam defaults to 10-minute length files, make sure to keep recording at least 10 minutes after an incident you want to view because some cams will not save the file to SD until the end of the file size period, in my case 10 minutes. The file length is usually user selectable. Shorter means a lot more files, longer means a possibility of more lost video.

I would just plug the cable into the cigar lighter and let it record. Check the sd card after a few hours and then put the card into your pc to see the length of the recordings.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When you have the cam hooked up, you gotta start a Youtube channel like the Russian dash cam channels.

The vid has a language warning, but who knows Russian cursing? Not me! :D

82rude

Rear Admiral
Oh, the way some people drive in my town I can give you the translated version of the russky vids,lol.720p

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think the two motorcycles crashing were the luckiest four out of everyone. How they all stood up and walked around is beyond me. And who doesn't like a good fight after a crash?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I liked the end of the vid with 2 guys, then a 3rd guy came in and finally the woman in the red coat jumped in. I mean jumped in! LOL Oh, and the peacekeeper made 5.

Sorry for the hijack, rude.