Poor man's pressure brake bleeder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor man's pressure brake bleeder

I replaced my '99 Durango's master cylinder trying to get to the bottom of the brake pedal going nearly to the bottom. (earlier post). Even after bleeding the cylinder prior to assembly, I had plenty of air in the system. And the wife and her right foot were out of town for a few days. After viewing You Tube videos on making a garden sprayer pressure bleeder, I got the gist.

I took my old reservoir cap, laid a layer of epoxy to seal the vent, cut a air inlet hole in the gasket and fitted a tank valve. Then I snuck up on the compressor regulator until I got 12-15 psi. Good brakes. High pedal grab. Success. I'll never know if it was air all along or a worn master cylinder. And I don't care.

After I got over the afterglow of a double DIY victory, I've decided to buy Harbor Freight's venturi vacuum wheel bleeder next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181222_152227631.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	796.3 KB
ID:	10689875
    '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Skip the harbor freight version...didnt even begin to work the 1st time....I dont buy tools with moving parts from them as a rule but that one was a gift...
    '47 18' CC Utility "Knock On Wood"
    Various Evinrude powered Pontoons all named "Floosy"

Comment

you could have simply gotten a mityvac 8500.... you need it to vacuum and pressure test outdrives anyway. they have adapters for bleeding brakes.
      Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I just use my HF vacuum pump, same one I use for doing A/C works just fine. But that is a good idea nice, simple and effective.

Comment

Working...
        X