Poor man's pressure brake bleeder

harringtondav

Commander
I replaced my '99 Durango's master cylinder trying to get to the bottom of the brake pedal going nearly to the bottom. (earlier post). Even after bleeding the cylinder prior to assembly, I had plenty of air in the system. And the wife and her right foot were out of town for a few days. After viewing You Tube videos on making a garden sprayer pressure bleeder, I got the gist.

I took my old reservoir cap, laid a layer of epoxy to seal the vent, cut a air inlet hole in the gasket and fitted a tank valve. Then I snuck up on the compressor regulator until I got 12-15 psi. Good brakes. High pedal grab. Success. I'll never know if it was air all along or a worn master cylinder. And I don't care.

After I got over the afterglow of a double DIY victory, I've decided to buy Harbor Freight's venturi vacuum wheel bleeder next time.

IMG_20181222_152227631.jpg

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Skip the harbor freight version...didnt even begin to work the 1st time....I dont buy tools with moving parts from them as a rule but that one was a gift...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could have simply gotten a mityvac 8500.... you need it to vacuum and pressure test outdrives anyway. they have adapters for bleeding brakes.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just use my HF vacuum pump, same one I use for doing A/C works just fine. But that is a good idea nice, simple and effective.