No announcement yet.

Snap-on 18 v battery what's this gizmo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap-on 18 v battery what's this gizmo?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181219_183859-2268x3024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	10689152 Can any of you electronics guys tell me what this gizmo is? I get .333 ohms through it one way and .713 through it the other way.

battery wont charge, flashes the yellow fault light. Guessing maybe that's the issue and I can probably get one for .07c or something vs. $$$ for a new battery.
    '47 18' CC Utility "Knock On Wood"
    Various Evinrude powered Pontoons all named "Floosy"

Says it's a 18v 2.5ah nickel cadmium.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181219_184752-2268x3024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	10689155

Comment

Looks like a glass diode.

Readings would be meaningless without identifing the component

Comment

I think it may be a thermistor to control charging. It changes resistance to reduce or increase charging current based on the temperature of the battery pack.

The ohm reading you are getting is because of the battery voltage and flipping meter leads is changing the polarity. Resistance readings can't be done with voltage present.

A fairly simple description where the poster thought it was a diode - https://electronics.stackexchange.co...n-this-circuit

A deeper explanation - https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries

It's hard to say if the thermistor is bad or if one of the cells in the pack is bad causing the fault light. The pack has to be torn apart to test the individual cells and it isn't simple with your pack because of the spot welded connections.

Probably time for a new battery, Jake. One thing you can try is freezing the battery before charging. I have one like that and it's on the way out cuz it isn't holding charge but it says it's fully charging when plugging the cold battery in the charger. At room temp or warmer, it shows faulty after doing the initial test before starting the charge cycle.
          BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
          Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

It is the charge controller that keeps the voltage within a certain range.

You can buy new cells for your pack, all you have to do de-solder those and solder the news ones back in place with the correct polarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfp-vxgA0ss

Comment

That's far from a gizmo!The proper term is dohicky.

Comment

Originally posted by 82rude View Post
                That's far from a gizmo!The proper term is dohicky.

Comment

When i first saw it, it sure looked like a thinga-mabob to me!

Comment

Working...
                  X