Simple fire retardant for oily auto exhaust manifold?

harringtondav

Commander
I recently flubbed and spilled most of a quart of engine oil on my Durango's 318 valve cover, intake and exhaust manifold. I cleaned up what I could and parked it beside the garage. In that short time the exhaust system was smoking heavily from the oil residue. I'm concerned it could catch fire the next time I run it for any time.

Any suggestions for a dry or wet material that I could apply to keep flames from touching off?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Can you give it a quick shampoo?If weather is ok use engine degreaser.Ive had a few oilers in my time and have never had a fire just smoke.which will burn off .Even did it just like you accidental spilling a fair bit on my 4.6 f150 and it just burned off .

alldodge

Staff member
Opinion
Its going to smoke for maybe an hour but not going catch fire. I would start it up and let it run at idle until the oil burned off.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would take it for a bout a 5 mile run down the highway. after that, it wont be smoking.

if your worried, first empty a can of brake clean to hose off most of the residue.

bigdee

Commander
Opinion
Its going to smoke for maybe an hour but not going catch fire. I would start it up and let it run at idle until the oil burned off.

Yeah during my teenager years plenty of my friends had junk cars that smoked and smelled of burnt oil.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The only time I have had an oil fire is when the aftermarket oil pressure broke and was pumping oil on the exhaust in one of the diesel trucks. Now normally a thin film of oil will burn off pretty quick with a good run down the road, then you won't notice any smoke or smell.

So like others said, either let it idle or take it for a drive.

sam am I

Commander
Gunk (engine bright) or Simple Green should cut it down but yeah, I'd go for a road trip on the interstate, it'll just burn(smoke) off within an hour or so running at normal engine temps

harringtondav

Commander
Thanks all. Seems I was overthinking the issue. Back into the garage right now for a new master cylinder. Last year replaced A/C compressor, one wheel caliper, and front brake lines. This year the starter and now that master cylinder.

This adds up to about 1/2 of what that 20 yr. old Durango is worth. But it has a solid core and is one helluva boat hauler. It's worth keeping alive in my mind.