Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple fire retardant for oily auto exhaust manifold?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple fire retardant for oily auto exhaust manifold?

I recently flubbed and spilled most of a quart of engine oil on my Durango's 318 valve cover, intake and exhaust manifold. I cleaned up what I could and parked it beside the garage. In that short time the exhaust system was smoking heavily from the oil residue. I'm concerned it could catch fire the next time I run it for any time.

Any suggestions for a dry or wet material that I could apply to keep flames from touching off?
    '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Can you give it a quick shampoo?If weather is ok use engine degreaser.Ive had a few oilers in my time and have never had a fire just smoke.which will burn off .Even did it just like you accidental spilling a fair bit on my 4.6 f150 and it just burned off .

Comment

Opinion
      Its going to smoke for maybe an hour but not going catch fire. I would start it up and let it run at idle until the oil burned off.
      94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
      95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
      07 Seadoo GTX
      Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
      G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

I would take it for a bout a 5 mile run down the highway. after that, it wont be smoking.

if your worried, first empty a can of brake clean to hose off most of the residue.
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
          Opinion
          Its going to smoke for maybe an hour but not going catch fire. I would start it up and let it run at idle until the oil burned off.
          Yeah during my teenager years plenty of my friends had junk cars that smoked and smelled of burnt oil.
          The older I get,the less I care what people think.....Central NC

Comment

The only time I have had an oil fire is when the aftermarket oil pressure broke and was pumping oil on the exhaust in one of the diesel trucks. Now normally a thin film of oil will burn off pretty quick with a good run down the road, then you won't notice any smoke or smell.

So like others said, either let it idle or take it for a drive.

Comment

Gunk (engine bright) or Simple Green should cut it down but yeah, I'd go for a road trip on the interstate, it'll just burn(smoke) off within an hour or so running at normal engine temps

Comment

Thanks all. Seems I was overthinking the issue. Back into the garage right now for a new master cylinder. Last year replaced A/C compressor, one wheel caliper, and front brake lines. This year the starter and now that master cylinder.

This adds up to about 1/2 of what that 20 yr. old Durango is worth. But it has a solid core and is one helluva boat hauler. It's worth keeping alive in my mind.
                '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Working...
                X