Sleep ot Hybernate ?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you don't want to shut down any Notebook or Desk PC permanently as will be using them say some hours latter. Which modality is best to use : Sleep or Hibernate ? What's the tech difference between those 2 if any ?

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

harringtondav

Commander
In Windows 10, I go to "Power and Sleep". You can pick you own settings for screen-off and sleep. I go with "Never" on sleep. I understand you don't want you fans running. I keep two browser windows (FB and this site) and mail open and minimized over night. I never keep a web site up that continually scripts and refreshes those PIA ads. If the fan runs, it's so slow I don't notice.

Our W10 machines don't have a hibernate option. At least none that I've found.

alldodge

Staff member
Most of the new laptops are full solid state so no fans or moving parts like hard drives

My Win7 Dell Inspiron weights maybe 4 times what the Admiral's Win10 Asus

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Dell laptop is solid state and the fans do run. Son of a gun gets hot too.... really didn't need the laptop for home (a chrome book or tablet would be fine for surfing the web). I would put the desktop to sleep... for the laptop just close the lid.

harringtondav

Commander
Thanks NYBo . Easy as 1,2,3. Forums are great. What I can't figure out is why the little smoothie drinking, skateboard scooting propeller heads as MS and Google think they know more about what a user wants, than the actual user does. Solutions shouldn't be so obscure.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Tried closing the screen lid, cooling tray and external WIFI antena remained ON on a Dell LapTop and HP Notebook with Win 7 running their latest versions. Hibernate works fine for me..

Happy Boating