96 Jeep GC VIC repair

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I have been working on a Heater Core and AC Evaporator replacement for my grandson's 96 Jeep GC. All that work has been completed and works fine now. But I was challenged to repair the VIC unit now.

VIC, Vehicle Information Center, is a unit that sits just above the center consul in the dash just above the ash tray, that tells you if you have a problem with the vehicle. Things like doors ajar, taillights out, turn singles not working, oil levels low, coolant low and date, day, month, time and even mileage to next service schedule, things like that.

His wasn't working...at all. Dead, total black out. So I tackled it and so far I found a completely fried and broken in half TO-220 size component 041MC03. And of course I can't find basically anything that tells me what the heck it is. Sounds like a special designed component that Chrysler had made just for them. Nobody knows exactly what it is or does because I've been searching for a few real hours now. Some suggest it is a 3 volt voltage regulator but that doesn't make a lot of sense, since I am thinking the florescent section works on a lot higher voltage. But I really don't know either!

I also found one small puffed up electrolytic cap (47mfd 25 volt) that I have replaced, even though it tested good out of the circuit. In fact I removed almost all the caps and tested them already to rule out any shorted or way out of value ones.

Since it is totally blacked out, I figured it has to be the power supply section inside. But since this unit uses a florescent display, It has a buck converter that this questioned part is part of. It also has a 7805 5 volt regulator part, but it gets its power from the higher voltage section as well. It is a pretty interesting unit that if I could get a replacement part OR know exactly what it does, I could substitute something in its place.

SOooooo... Does anybody out there have an idea or owns a VIC unit? :violin:

Any help out there? :pray2: :help:

NYBo

Admiral
You might have to bite the bullet and get an entire replacement VIC. Is this it?
AB3A25FA4D0E4F388DBC6B9EA5A2C1BB001_web.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You might have to bite the bullet and get an entire replacement VIC. Is this it?
AB3A25FA4D0E4F388DBC6B9EA5A2C1BB001_web.jpg

No it looks similar but not the one I am working on. I am researching the other components in the circuit to help figure out what it could be. I am not so much thinking it is a voltage regulator but maybe a MOSFET driven via the PWM MC33060AP chip. Still working on it. The one I am working on looks like this;

Attachments

• photo304969.jpg
    photo304969.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
Go to Allpar.com, create an account, and ask your question there. They have some amazing folks there.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think I am going to try a reverse engineering to get a schematic, at least around that questionable part to see if I can figure out what it could be. Then I can substitute some other part to get it going again. We'll see. I think I'll also look for a junkyard (salvage yard) unit as well. I haven't seen any listed for part yet either. :eagerness:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
the more and more electronics added to vehicles..... the more and more I miss my old 1948 pickup.....

you may have to bite the bullet and get a used one from fleabay https://www.ebay.com/p/1998-Jeep-Gr...g-56042447/1011166438?iid=202513206245&chn=ps

have you checked the cherokee board? https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/vehicle-information-center-dead-132776/

Yeah, I been looking for a used replacement model. I just bid $40 dollars on one. Since this is merely a nicety and not a needed issue, I don't want to lay out a $100 bucks for used one. We'll see.

If I could only figure out what the burnt up part is, I probably could get it working. It could be a MOSFET, a Bipolar Transistor (NPN or PNP), It could be an SCR, or even a Triac, or a Voltage Regulator, or even none of the above and something totally different they had custom built since there is ZERO data on their part number. :noidea:

So the options are many and if you make a mistake, other parts could follow in the burnt part's footsteps. :nono:

I looked over the circuit and it is in a TO-220 size package with three legs. But the possibilities are near endless as to the pin out and real function. It is used in conjunction with a toroidal transformer and even a PWM IC DIP chip that can be configured many different ways. Oh well, I'l either get it fixed or replaced. :decision:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well after exhausting research for that part and finding ZERO, I bought a used one off EBay. It was pretty good price and I made a deal with the seller finally, and bought it. Since I already know the part number of the burn and broken part, I will gain nothing looking inside the new used one. So it gets the job done either way. :D