Change from petroleum oil to synthetic in my Buick?

bigdee

Commander
Well, I changed my oil this week...4 quarts Supertech High Mileage 5W30 Synthetic and a quart of Lucas Oil Stop Leak....I'll be pulling the boat to Florida next week, so guess we'll see if anything good or bad happens during this 1000 mile trip....will let you know what happens...if anything..

Good luck. If your engine lets go its NOT because of the Supertech. It is a worn engine and synthetic would not make one iota of a difference.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
244k miles and running good? if it aint broke, don't fix it. I wouldn't have changed to synthetic, even tho I'm a strong believer in the stuff.....

robert graham

Admiral
Pulled the boat to Florida and back(about 1200 miles) and the full synthetic oil works just fine/just like the old stuff......I can't imagine the engine really knows the difference......uses about a 1/2 pint of oil in 1000 miles, which seems O.K. To me....guess I'll stick with the synthetic from now on....

bigdee

Commander
Pulled the boat to Florida and back(about 1200 miles) and the full synthetic oil works just fine/just like the old stuff......I can't imagine the engine really knows the difference......uses about a 1/2 pint of oil in 1000 miles, which seems O.K. To me....guess I'll stick with the synthetic from now on....

Glad it worked out. However results would have been same with conventional oil except a dollar or two extra in your wallet.

robert graham

Admiral
The Walmart brand 100% synthetic high mileage 5w30 is $15.68//5quarts....cheaper than the Castrol I've always used.....just something else to consider....

bigdee

Commander
The Walmart brand 100% synthetic high mileage 5w30 is $15.68//5quarts....cheaper than the Castrol I've always used.....just something else to consider....

Good 'ol Wally world.....that is cheap enough,even for me!