Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change from petroleum oil to synthetic in my Buick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to clarify, the oil never gets even close to dirty, as for years I've used motor flush at oil changes about every other change. I use Castrol High Mileage GTX oil. Just considering the change to the Supertech High Mileage Synthetic oil. And I also add a quart of Lucas Oil Leak Stop at every oil change to help the seals and especially valve stem seals that can sometimes get weak at high miles....so far, no oil burning or smoking...This change to synthetic seems controversial and debatable but guess I'll go with the consensus, whichever it is....p

Comment

I swear by syn lubes, and apparently auto mfgs also do, since it's stenciled onto my engine oil caps. But I believe the benefit starts at the get-go. A '96 vehicle engine seals/gaskets could handle syn. I used it in two oldies w/no problems, and good engine longevity evidenced by low oil consumption at high miles.

But if you '96 consumes excessive oil, switching to syn will just consume more expensive oil. But if the consumption is moderate, < 1 qt/ oil change, I don't see a problem switching to syn. It won't reverse any wear, but it will slow down future wear.
      '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

I tow the boat 1000 miles to Florida and back and use about a pint....that's it....

Comment

I wouldnt, just not worth it at those miles, keep doing what you've been doing
          Heinz

Comment

Well, I changed my oil this week...4 quarts Supertech High Mileage 5W30 Synthetic and a quart of Lucas Oil Stop Leak....I'll be pulling the boat to Florida next week, so guess we'll see if anything good or bad happens during this 1000 mile trip....will let you know what happens...if anything..

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              Well, I changed my oil this week...4 quarts Supertech High Mileage 5W30 Synthetic and a quart of Lucas Oil Stop Leak....I'll be pulling the boat to Florida next week, so guess we'll see if anything good or bad happens during this 1000 mile trip....will let you know what happens...if anything..
              Good luck. If your engine lets go its NOT because of the Supertech. It is a worn engine and synthetic would not make one iota of a difference.
              The older I get,the less I care what people think.....Central NC

Comment

So how is your new oil leak working out for you????? Hope for your sake i am wrong...

Comment

244k miles and running good? if it aint broke, don't fix it. I wouldn't have changed to synthetic, even tho I'm a strong believer in the stuff.....

Comment

Pulled the boat to Florida and back(about 1200 miles) and the full synthetic oil works just fine/just like the old stuff......I can't imagine the engine really knows the difference......uses about a 1/2 pint of oil in 1000 miles, which seems O.K. To me....guess I'll stick with the synthetic from now on....

Comment

Pulled the boat to Florida and back(about 1200 miles) and the full synthetic oil works just fine/just like the old stuff......I can't imagine the engine really knows the difference......uses about a 1/2 pint of oil in 1000 miles, which seems O.K. To me....guess I'll stick with the synthetic from now on....
                      Glad it worked out. However results would have been same with conventional oil except a dollar or two extra in your wallet.

Comment

The Walmart brand 100% synthetic high mileage 5w30 is $15.68//5quarts....cheaper than the Castrol I've always used.....just something else to consider....

Comment

The Walmart brand 100% synthetic high mileage 5w30 is $15.68//5quarts....cheaper than the Castrol I've always used.....just something else to consider....
                          Good 'ol Wally world.....that is cheap enough,even for me!

Comment

Working...
                          X