Craftsman riding mower sloooow

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
The newer lawn tractors have mostly the same identical parts. There are only a few exceptions between brands. My neighbor has a John Deere and I have a PoulanPro of the same size. We both have to replace all 3 blade spindles every 2-3 years.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If I remember right that is a hydrostatic transmission on that model, the transmission was used on a lot of small yard tractors back in the day and they do wear out, They are expensive to rebuild or replace.

If it were me, I would look at something newer, hydros don't give a lot of notice when they are getting ready to go out.

How much is he wanting to get out of it?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
ITS ONLY gonna cost me a couple of hundred .By th video it looks like a pretty well kept and good running machine.At that pricepoint ,if it failed and was an expensive repair I wouldnt feel bad about leaving it at the curb.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
This may be due to the close proximity of the recording device to the engine but that sounds like a rod knocking. Other videos of that mower don't sound the same. They have the muffler sound but not the metallic knock. Of course, there could be a hole in the muffler making it sound worse.
Speed seems normal to just a bit slow.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Interesting. I recently, a few months ago, replaced my 15 to 20 year old Craftsman mower like that with a new IKON X52 zero turn mower. And my Craftsman mower was a hydrostatic drive. And that mower still is working perfectly with the Kohler 15 HP engine. It now is living at my son's home and still working prefect.

I can say, one time I thought the hydro dive was going out because it got to where I couldn't barely drive up a slight slope with it anymore. So I bought another hydrostatic drive off Ebay for a song and replaced mine. It still wouldn't pull itself up a slight slope yet. So I decided to change the drive belt, like I should have done in the first place. And it took off like a rocket again. So my old hydro drive was still perfect. And I piece parted it out and earned a few dollars as well doing that.

So yes it could be slow if the drive belt isn't in good condition. And as far as the hydro drive goes, there are some out there as a replacement if need be and not very expensive. JMHO

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
If it's a hydro drive, changing the gear oil can make a big difference. Happened on my Gravely ZTR.

bigdee

Commander
Looks good and for that price its worth checking into. Reach under it and feel for slack in the drive belt. If belt seems ok back it up against something stationary and see if wheels spin....that will confirm hydrostatic drive is good. Do it on grass or dirt, not pavement!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Seller was a complete dummy!! I told him he had a deal and i have cash in hand ,bring to to me(as he said he would) and show me how to run it and get paid.He said he wouldnt until i came to see it first.I told him i am injured and didnt care what it looked like ,I just need something that works.So he passed on the easy sale which tells me he was hiding something.Next day bought same mower for a little more $$ with 16hp Kohler motor and rear leaf bagger system which is AWESOME!! This thing is fast as heck!! Needs a couple of front tires and a battery which all seem to need so I am happy with this mower and the kohler motor seems to be a really nice upgrade.Will post pics Charlie