Craftsman riding mower sloooow

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Looking to buy 2nd hand riding mower.One near me looks to be a great deal.owner said the only negative is that "it is really slow" claims a new drive belt should fix that.Does that sound correct?? I know nothing bout riding mowers..Charlie

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the belt is slipping, it will be slow. there will be evidence of burning belt

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
i asked owner if he was sure it was a belt and he said he was not sure.Said the engine sounds fine and starts right up so prob not a carb issue I would assume

alldodge

Staff member
It could be the belt but I doubt it. Figure if it was the belt the guy would have replaced it and then sell it for more, cheap item in most cases.
Look at the oil in the rear differential, see if its low on oil
Maybe the break is hanging, place in neutral and try to roll, should move easy

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Is it shift, automatic or full hydrostatic drive?

“Slow” would be something different for each drive type

sam60

Captain
Does it drive slow or does it mow slow and bog? I had a 6 speed 18HP that moved pretty quickly for a mower. The belt didn't propel the rear wheels.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
If it is hydrostatic; pass on it! Top speed forward is 8 mph. Reverse is 3 mph. Will not climb hills..Had one; used it twice; returned. No cure to improve speed.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
If it's belt driven, a stretched belt can definitely slow it down. And the brakes won't be as effective either.

My GT3000 slows down on inclines when the drive belt is worn and that's my signal to replace the belt.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Find out what he means by "slow". Maybe he is a speed freak and can't stand going only 5mph while mowing (which is pretty fast by the way). Try it yourself.

bigdee

Commander
I would be very suspicious of the hydrostatic drive going out.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Bought mine new! No levers;just a pedal. OP said "Brand" name; did not mention age;etc. I retired ;from that Company; knew their products; worked with the Techs who serviced their products. ;Asked them their opinion; got bad vibes. Returned it;bought a 3 spd; ran it 12yrs. Other brands might be better.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Didnt look that slow to me either.For what I need it to do it looks fine.I just didnt want to buy a money pit with so many 2nd hand ones available for sale.I understand that these particular models are pretty reliable.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
This is my opinion; expect and welcome comments. To me; a 20 year old mower; along with age has wear: steering sector; spindles; idler pulleys; 20 yr. old tires; plus guessing a stamped deck; and belts. To me the - outweigh the +. First time on mine;was cutting the ditch. Had to get off and help the mower up out of the ditch. Not steep;dry grass; I weigh 130lbs;(Wet or Dry). What does the oil look like? Old or low? Price?
Its the same with a 20 yr. old Boat. Haven't seen many around in pristine condition. That's my 2.Good Luck!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
This is my opinion; expect and welcome comments. To me; a 20 year old mower; along with age has wear: steering sector; spindles; idler pulleys; 20 yr. old tires; plus guessing a stamped deck; and belts. To me the - outweigh the +. First time on mine;was cutting the ditch.
Age has little to do with it. It all comes down to OEM quality and how well it was maintained.

I bought my 1982 682 Cub with a 50" deck used in 1990. On it's second motor (1234 hrs.) but the rest of the unit, less two front tires, is for the most part OEM. It mowed an acre a week until we moved to a much larger property in 2012. Still use it to pull the aerator and spreader.

Mowing the yard has since been relegated to a 1984 IH 234 with a 72" deck. The 3 cylinder, 18 HP diesel (1600 hrs.) barely gets up to temp mowing 3+ acres.