Mustang question

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Had a Dr appt today; drove the Admiral's '02 3.8 on the Toll Road. The ride was decent; the 3.8 had more than enough pep.
(Ran it up to 90; was still fairly smooth). She commented "This is close to our T Bird"!
Now the T BIrd had the 5.0 F/I package; and was a rocket. It also rode like floating on a cloud. The weight was 3800 lbs.
The '02 Mustang is 3200 +or-. Haven't checked the shocks (TDC); but maybe original.
My question is: without trying to make a Silk purse out of a Sow's ear; are softer shocks available; considering the weight difference? What Brands;etc
I should comment that this is HER ride; she fell in love with it; we bought it. It has 91K; interior is perfect; and got it that way for less than $100. It won't be driven daily; definitely not "Rode hard and hung up wet"!
Any thoughts or suggestions??

southkogs

Staff member
Does it have the low profile tires on it? Some of the newer cars that have the low profile aspects on the tires (bigger rims) have a rougher ride (IMHO). I've never owned one like that, but it's suggested that changing back to wheels and tires with the bigger aspect ratio can smooth things out.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Yes. They are a Road Hugger brand; P225/255R16. Discount Tire said they were a good tire; made by YOHO; but they were NLA. (Figures).
Can give history if anybody is interested. Bought new;one owner; non smoker; by another senior. She fell down some stairs; shoulder; collarbone;and hip are history. Some friends at Church had their 50th thing; and the Admiral found out. They are Ram people.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get better tires (cheap chinese tires....ride.....well....like cheap tires), check the control arm bushings (they are most likely worn out) if the bushings are bad, it affects ride quality....and replace the shocks

the shocks are there to dampen movement. Shocks only last about 30,000-40,000 miles prior to needing replacement (as they can only do so many cycles)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have found that the ride, soft or tight, is a driver preferred thing. I like a tight or stiff response and my wife likes a soft or cloud like ride. It may just be how the Mustang is supposed to ride. Take another for a ride off a lot before you try and fix something not broke. Tires will make a huge difference. I was driving when bias ply went out and radials came in, wow that was amazingly different. Many have never driven a bias ply in their lives to know the difference.

Sports cars aren't supposed to ride cloud like, quite the opposite in fact.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the thoughts To reply skipping around; agree tires are cheap ($60-$70) when available;will probably go with Radials.The steering seems OK; (Both have the same type) no clunks or play; but will check. When I say "Riding on a Cloud" I'm (and her) remember that T Bird. brand new it was air tight;said it had the Lotus steering (it didn't); with other features. Got on the Toll Road;it jumped from 45 to 100+! Scarey! Ran it a few miles; held the road great! I definitely won't be driving like that now; but hoping I could improve the ride. I was thinking about the weight difference.(5K). Thanks for your thoughts!

The T Bird? My brother passed in '05. We drove the S/C to Baton Rouge for the space. While there; our Son called;said He wanted to come but didn't trust his ride. She OK'd the T Bird. After getting back; I took it to Ford for Oil change;etc They kept it 3 days; went to pick it up; and was given a bill of $480. They also cancelled the extended warranty. The Service Manager was waiting for me.He showed me a tray with 2 brown Oil filters (Autolite are White) with the gasket missing.He also had a paper cup half full of Black Oil, Then he showed me 8 S/P's with no electrode. According to him
"Someone ran that car hard; blew out over 7 qts of Oil; and used cheap gas"!
That was '05. He hasn't borrowed anything since. No Moral needed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for the thoughts To reply skipping around; agree tires are cheap ($60-$70) when available;will probably go with Radials.The steering seems OK; (Both have the same type) no clunks or play; but will check.

good tires will cost you about $100+ a corner. dont assume the bushings are good. get under the car with a prybar and jack and verify. the bushings dont last more than maybe 60-80k on a SN-bodied mustang. less on the 05 and later

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Don't worry; I've 3 Ford P/U's. Have gone through the front end on all 3. From shocks; pads; bushings; ball joints; etc they all have been reworked. Have only had 2 months; still got a lot of checking to do.Thanks for the thoughts!

dithhagler

Recruit
Don't worry; I've 3 Ford P/U's. Have gone through the front end on all 3. From shocks; pads; bushings; ball joints; etc they all have been reworked. Have only had 2 months; still got a lot of checking to do.Thanks for the thoughts!

Keep checking!!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Mustangs by design are not supposed to ride like you are on a cloud, they are a sport touring car, hence they have a stiffer suspension, as you go up in trim levels and motors options, they get stiffer. Like Scott said, check the suspension parts, replace what is needed and also replace the tires with some better quality ones.

I would not recommend changing the profile to a larger tire with a taller sidewall, the car is designed a particular way for a reason, soft sidewalls on a touring car makes it feel mushy and not like a cloud type ride. Fix what needs to be fixed and enjoy it for what it was made for.

One thing that does help with ride and still maintains handling is upgrade the bushings in it to polyurethane over rubber they ride well and still maintain firm control during cornering.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Just played the ride game myself with my Civic SI Coupe

I wanted a smoother ride quality than stock. Unfortunately, the SI is a “Tuner” favorite and most after market parts are geared towards a stiffer, racing ride.

Took the advise of one of the kids I work with and installed Koni adjustable struts and shocks all around.

It took a bit of tweaking but I got the feel I was looking for. Completed the transistion with a set of Michelin Defender tires. I like the results

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
More comments; Keep the thoughts coming! A lot of things put on hold (DR. Appt; Honey DO's; and the weather). No Snow; but crappy Rain; and that cutting N wind.
Seems like everybody agrees that suspension. and tires are the key. Car has been sitting in garage; had a chance to raise up the front in for a look. No leaks or wetspots;checked bushings; grommets;etc. To me; everything is still tight; but Original! Rubber stuff shows aged (1K).Not bad but needs replacing.Shocks look original;they are on the list. Tires! I think everybody will agree that hard; fast turns etc. will eat up front tires. All 4 look the same; just wear. Verifys Post #3,
No doubt; the front end needs attention;nothing major; but replaced.
Somebody suggested to drive a new one for comparison. I did: ('18 Mustang; (Price 42K). Was disappointed; our '03 Ranger rode equal .

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Update! Got all the bushings installed (Poly; same price). Front end has struts (Have been replaced). Got new shocks for the rear. Discount Tire cut me a Good deal on tires; got Goodyear All Season 225X60RX16. We got our Cloud! Thanks for all the advice and help!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Update! Got all the bushings installed (Poly; same price). Front end has struts (Have been replaced). Got new shocks for the rear. Discount Tire cut me a Good deal on tires; got Goodyear All Season 225X60RX16. We got our Cloud! Thanks for all the advice and help!!

:rockon:

:flypig:

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
When I screw something I don't do it half way;I usually make it expensive. Was so happy that her car turned out so good!
I have a special coat I wear anytime I make repairs sitting or lying on the floor. This morning the Admiral was going to wash all my jeans; and suggested I add the coat to the pile. The load (+ coat) came out; was dried and given back. I went outside; reached into a pocket; pulled out her keys. Hit the remote button to unlock the door; heard the click; tried to start it; anti theft kicked in. Searches on Google; etc gave me no answers.
With most Fords; the cure is to reset the computer. Didn't work! All buttons (4) work OK; but key will crank; but car won't start. Key person said it would take a new key plus remote.$175. Any thoughts or solutions?

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Laid down;took a nap; PO'd at myself. Woke up ;my Senior mind had a brain fart!. Opened remote; tried key;car started! It's amazing what happens when you get your head out of ........

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm going to bet it was all about the tires, 60 profiles are pretty soft. Just out of curiosity, what size were the old tires? "P225/255R16" doesn't make sense. If they were 55 profile, that was soft too, never mind ;-)