Need to figure a new door stop

alldodge

Staff member
I thought about from the top down, but then it would be a hazard to tall folks. Standard door is 80, and could get in at 78 (6' 4"), but if someone was horsing around it could be bad.

I'm thinking about removing the wood deck and pouring concrete for no maintenance. The easiest would be the planter, or adding a wall on the side as mentioned, or could add some all around the door to help keep the wind from grabbing the door, but that won't help if its winding and the door is opened.

harringtondav

Commander
The issue, when you have renters, they don't care, so have to make it DA proof.

So true. Ron White: "You can't fix stupid". Wife's family owns a lake cottage in the middle of IA wind turbine farms. Lot's of users, one or two fixers - me as one. Three very solid outside closet/beer refer/utility room doors. All had the safety chain anchor wind ripped out and hinges sprung. 40-50 yr old adults can't shut the damn door. I through bolted. Original chain/cushion springs broke. Heavier chain. They hold now, but the damage is done. You have to body block the doors for the latch to grab.

The planter sounds good. Also maybe a floor-ceiling knee wall. Fill it with decorative treated lattice so it looks decent.

...the cabin's poor 18' Crownline I/O BR is another tragic story. Too many users, no owners. No respect. Eight yrs. ago wife & I bought our own Miss. river house. One owner. Lots of care and respect. Other than winterizing the family circus place, I've walked away.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I figured you wanted to keep the work and cost to a minimum. But what if you built a vestibule per se. Basically two walls on either side of the door protruding out to the end of the deck. You already have a top and bottom to build off of. You just need two walls. Very simple, 2x3's or 2x4's and siding. You don't even need insulation, just empty walls. The door will stay at the same location, just now it will be recessed and out of the wind. Quick easy build all done in an afternoon.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
"my door on my house in the midwest had 2 door closers, one top and one bottom in addition to the chain.. it was a pain in the butt to get them adjusted right, however 60mph winds were common and it saved the door every time."

Scott wrote the above. I also have a double closer on my storm/screen door and it has been there for a few years without any problems. I believe my door is also a Larson. I didn't have to mess with any adjustments so it was easy. I can't say that my situation is as severe as yours but we do get some nasty winds. I'm in Long Island, New York and has survived a hurricane.

Good luck.
Nick

southkogs

Staff member
Another thought ... I know it's a little complex, but what about a set of vertical louvres at the end of the porch? Maybe they would work like air foils and just redirect the wind?

alldodge

Staff member
Kind of like, as the wind picks up they start to close or open to redirect, sort of?
With the right stuff it should also work but that sounds like a lot more work and maybe something to maintain

southkogs

Staff member
I was thinking more simple than that (though I've seen something that opens and closes). I'm thinking more like a pergola that's been set on it's side - fixed angle, made of wood. May not really even need to be that big - just enough to brake the wind.

Louvres.png

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If all the above ideas don't work just get rid of it.