Need to figure a new door stop

alldodge

Staff member
House faces East-West and the screen door open edge is facing south. If you forget to latch the door and the wind kicks up, the door is slammed open and in most cases breaks and bends things.

In my other house I had same issue, but decided to expanded the living room and made the door sit 30 degrees farther away so the wind was not the issue anymore.

So I have a maybe rental and don't want to put a stop on the deck, or something hanging down from the porch because of safety issues. Thought about installing a pole from deck to porch so if wind grabs it, the pole will be the stop.

Anyone have other ideas?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
2018-11-11 19.33.53.jpg Doesn't it have the chain with the spring on the top from the door jamb to the frame of the screen door? It's what is supposed to prevent what you're describing. Also doesn't it have the pump thing that slows the closing?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I have the same issue. Been thinking of fabricating some kind of self deploying doorstop that would deploy when the door opens, and it would be attached to the house. Haven't figured out the engineering yet...

alldodge

Staff member
Yes it has the chain, and when the wind kicks up hard, it will rip the screws and all right out of the door. Then the door bends the shock closer and now need to replace the door. They don't make things like they use to.

Growing up there was a aluminum screen door and the chain and thickness of the door could handle the wind up to 50 mph or so. Now days, you pay high dollar for some 2 bit piece of good looking crud that cannot handle a 30 mph wind, and that is IF its a good brand.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Yes it has the chain, and when the wind kicks up hard, it will rip the screws and all right out of the door. Then the door bends the shock closer and now need to replace the door. They don't make things like they use to.

Growing up there was a aluminum screen door and the chain and thickness of the door could handle the wind up to 50 mph or so. Now days, you pay high dollar for some 2 bit piece of good looking crud that cannot handle a 30 mph wind, and that is IF its a good brand.

Ah, I see. Can you use a stronger chain then nut, bolt and fender washer it right through the frame of the door? Maybe put two of them? One on top and one in the middle. It won't work on the bottom of the door since the chain hangs down.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Or how about a large planter box filled with soil sitting next to the door to stop it. You can add your favorite plant or small tree. Nothing fancy, just big plastic planter. We have a lot of them all over the yard.

alldodge

Staff member
Through bolt it.

Agree, and have thought of that, but think of it like this.
Pay $200 for a door which is thin skinned aluminum and foam core. Placing a bolt thru it now its on the outside of the door and how will it be finished to look good.

Put a 5/16 bolt in with a washer, and the thin aluminum may not hold under high winds. So now maybe add a plate on the outside with 2 thru bolts. Can probably see where I'm going, but do we need to buy a 500 or more to get a door that can handle the wind? If so who makes one?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my door on my house in the midwest had 2 door closers, one top and one bottom in addition to the chain.. it was a pain in the butt to get them adjusted right, however 60mph winds were common and it saved the door every time.

the door was a larson, and I believe it was just shy of a boat unit for two doors with the full-length glass/screen/etc.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I see you have a deck there. Can you screw a door stop down into the deck?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
How about all of the above? Two closers, chain with spring, bolt them through with fender washers painted white. Put a planter there as a door stop. Maybe screw the planter down to the deck?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
How about a wall to block the wind? 2x3's and match your siding. I can't really make out what that siding is. Can it be matched? Not a lot of work or expensive. Could do it in a few hours. It could even act as a door stop if close enough to the door.

alldodge

Staff member
The current door is an Anderson so have some money there.
Don't want to put a block on the deck because someone can trip on it just walking (ambulance chasers are everywhere)

Did think of adding facing around the door to minimize the chance the air catches it, and this may be the best way to go, but how far

The issue, when you have renters, they don't care, so have to make it DA proof. Last folks in the house was a good friend, but they had kids and go figure it still happens

Did switch the door swing to the opposite and that does work, the main issue that comes from it is handles are together and this also causes other problems.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Oh, you rent it out. Put a big planter next to the door and screw it down. They won't trip on that.

southkogs

Staff member
Anything you could mount to the porch roof to hang down instead of stick up? Can't tell how high the ceiling of the porch goes behind the overhang. Otherwise, I kinda' like the planter idea.