Propane heat question

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I am hanging some plastic on our patio to engineer a greenhouse for her plants before our freeze tonight. Size approx 5X10; 8' high. Nothing fancy! I found a small bathroom heater my FIL had; was thinking about using it as a heat source instead of lightbulbs. The greenhouse won't be air tight; but would like to keep the temp around 40=50. Think this would
work? Don't want to bake them; just protect them. She has got several good size ivys. Was going to run the heater off a propane bottle. Suppose to be in the 20s tonight;along with the rain. Thoughts?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Most ivy's are frost tolerant. Even if containerized it would take a hard freeze to damage them.

alldodge

Staff member
I think it would work (shouldn't take a lot) and the tighter you get it the less extra heat will be needed

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We did that a few years ago with ivy and orchids, it was a bad habit my wife got when we lived in Hawaii.

Propane works well, get the hothouse sealed correctly, you will have a secondary benefit as well and that is propane heat generates water condensation, which ivy and many other flowers love. So it is doable and if you stay on top of it, it can be enjoyable.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the replies! Got the plastic up; everything inside; will dig that heater out She got several Ivys and some Foxtail Ferns she has nursed.
Forget what year; but we went OOT; for 2 days; had a power failure; lost everything. Thanks for the advice!

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Got that heater hooked up night. 30 dg this morning; suppose to drop. Checked inside temp with IR gun in several spots; rocking around 52. Thanks for the help!

bigdee

Commander
Byproducts of burning propane are carbon dioxide and water....perfect for plants.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Byproducts of burning propane are carbon dioxide and water....perfect for plants.

Thanks for the info! Don't know how much fuel this heater will burn (BR scales read 24lbs). Got a spare on hand.
Thanks again for the info!!