Here's a new one

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Anyone ever done this, and what do you think?

I blew my fallen leaves to the edge of our woods. I knew that I should have first trimmed the sparse, small brush along the edge because it would prevent me from actually blowing the leaves into the woods. But I didn't. I got thinking to myself, how can I move those easily into the woods?

My idea: Maybe I can use my snowblower to just get them even a few feet in so I don't have that heavy matted pile along the edge in the spring, I want to maintain the edge of the lawn without getting "edge creep" over time. The largest diameter brush I might encounter is probably 3/8 - 1/2" diameter and I don't think it will bother the 10HP 24" John Deere.

Any thoughts? :)

Attachments

• photo304243.png
    photo304243.png
    665.3 KB · Views: 0

dwco5051

Commander
I tried a similar thing many years ago and if I remember correctly it did not work out as well as planned. Leaves are too light to throw and a snowblower doesn't generate enough air movement to help move them along. As I said it was a long time ago and it didn't work for me.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Well thanks, I can see that that might happen. I'm surprised that anyone has tried it! I might give it a try, they only need to move a foot or two. I just hope no one is looking. :D Next year I'll trim the low brush first.

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
Not good for the motor. Remember a snowblower doesn't have an air cleaner. You're going to be blowing around a lot of dust that will get sucked into the carb.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Not good for the motor. Remember a snowblower doesn't have an air cleaner. You're going to be blowing around a lot of dust that will get sucked into the carb.

One of my snowblowers actually has an air cleaner on it.

Just wait until it snows a bit and the leaves will be picked up with the snow and thrown away with the snow.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
That looks like the plan, thanks for the input. The obvious solution that I dind't think of at first.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If ya have any kids or grand kids I would say snow shovels and rakes .. :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you do have young kids and/or grand kids, make a game out of it to see who could get the most leaves into the woods. And the winner of that game gets five dollars. Nothing like monetary rewards.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Good plans, it would be well worth a few $$$ to me, but....no kids around.

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
One of my snowblowers actually has an air cleaner on it.

Just wait until it snows a bit and the leaves will be picked up with the snow and thrown away with the snow.
That seems unusual. I've never seen that. Not disputing you. I'm only familiar with snowblowers having heater boxes on the carb, I would think an air filter on a snowblower would get wet and cause poor performance.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That seems unusual. I've never seen that. Not disputing you. I'm only familiar with snowblowers having heater boxes on the carb, I would think an air filter on a snowblower would get wet and cause poor performance.

It is the only one I have ever seen, it is an antique made in the early 60's by John Deere, picked up at a garage sale a few years ago for about $5.00 as a yard decoration, but I started tinkering with it and got it running, darn thing works pretty good and throws snow quite a ways.

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
It is the only one I have ever seen, it is an antique made in the early 60's by John Deere, picked up at a garage sale a few years ago for about $5.00 as a yard decoration, but I started tinkering with it and got it running, darn thing works pretty good and throws snow quite a ways.

Now that might make a good leaf blower!! Carry on.

dolluper

Captain
Great plan snow blower for leaves.I guess you could use your leaf blower to blow snow then lol

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Great plan snow blower for leaves.I guess you could use your leaf blower to blow snow then lol

I've done that too.

Snowblowing the snowy leaves was a big FAIL. :D

I broke a shear pin right off the bat, I guess the wet leaves were just too matted together & jammed up the blades. Lesson learned. Next year, don't be lazy, and trim the edge brush before hand! :)