Need a computer dork; Wi-Fi router

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Lost out two year old TP link to this week's stormstorm. I had a couple year old Belkin new in the box. Fixed her up, reset all smart home devices (not fun) but now when my wife and I are both working at home I get an IP conflict notice. Prior to the TP link we had a Belkin and never had this issue.

I think it is affecting my smart home as well as our main one goes unresponsive intermittently even when showing online when goes off line. One of my nest thermostats disconnected and I had to reconnect. Neither of them have done that.

Soooo.....

Does it cause any real issues which to me it is and if so how to correct?I

Pretend I know no lingo. Speak redneck.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Your overloading the router. Too many devices connected. Not enough HP to manage the routing requests.

Time for a new router

tpenfield

Staff member
Sounds like DHCP may not be enabled . . . can you post some screen shots of the setup screens?

Also, did you re-start all of your home devices when you went to the new router?

briangcc

Commander
Each device on the network has to have its own unique address (IP - typically 10.10.x.x or 192.168.x.x). You can't have duplicates and your error message says you have at least 2, if not more, with the same address. This is a result of setting the addresses manually (static) instead of using the router to hand them out (DHCP).

Go through the configuration of all your smart home devices and make sure they have a unique address. I would suggest creating a quick document that lays out all the addresses you assigned to avoid conflicts if you need static addresses.

IF it were me....

192.168.1.254 - First PC
192.168.1.253 - Second PC
192.168.1.252 - Printer (I assume you share one on either wifi or ethernet cable)
192.168.1.251 - 192.168.1.201 - left intentionally unassigned as it allow for future growth on computing needs/wants.
192.168.1.200 - First smart home device
192.168.1.199 - Second smart home device
192.168.1.198 - Third smart home device
and so on

**This assumes you haven't adjusted the internal network settings for the router as some allow you to change it to whatever you want.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Point of clarification: I believe that what you seek is a computer geek, not a dork. A dork is usually a rather slow-witted person, of which we don't (I think) have many on iboats. Geeks, however, are plentiful around here, thank heavens!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
On I'll be the dork.

I hear those words and I know they mean something

Long day today but I did reset all devices, I did nothing manually all auto. Side and I both wireless in fact nothing g hardwired

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
thanks everyone - apologize for the pause but the boy closed on his first house on Thursday, which is quarter mile up the road, and been moving, fixing 50's era house solid but little things neglected so been doing all the dad things that need doing (I'm the stepdad real dad lives a whopping 20 minutes away and hasn't shown up yet) so not much time for anything else.

TP - screen shots? No, other than the on-screen error. I have no clue how to get into the thing online. It came with a disk to run but I'm on company laptop (so is wife) and we have no drives to run it on so I threw it away. I did not restart anything, just reconnected with new unit, password etc.

Dingbat - I plugged and played.

What we have connected:

one TV (plus new one coming for the back patio)
DIRECTV (although i work for them not a clue how many i think just the Genie then the clients run thru that)
5 echo devices
two laptops
two tablets
two phones
two Nest thermostats
Acurite weather station
TP link wall plug
some brand lightbulb
Nest doorbell
guests phones when they are here

Printer is hardwired, no wifi (although capable may be another thread when I get my new company laptop)

Belkin model F7D4301 v1

and a beer, in a tree....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
thanks everyone - apologize for the pause but the boy closed on his first house on Thursday, which is quarter mile up the road, and been moving, fixing 50's era house solid but little things neglected so been doing all the dad things that need doing (I'm the stepdad real dad lives a whopping 20 minutes away and hasn't shown up yet) so not much time for anything else.

TP - screen shots? No, other than the on-screen error. I have no clue how to get into the thing online. It came with a disk to run but I'm on company laptop (so is wife) and we have no drives to run it on so I threw it away. I did not restart anything, just reconnected with new unit, password etc.

Dingbat - I plugged and played.

What we have connected:

one TV (plus new one coming for the back patio)
DIRECTV (although i work for them not a clue how many i think just the Genie then the clients run thru that)
5 echo devices
two laptops
two tablets
two phones
two Nest thermostats
Acurite weather station
TP link wall plug
some brand lightbulb
Nest doorbell
guests phones when they are here

Printer is hardwired, no wifi (although capable may be another thread when I get my new company laptop)

Belkin model F7D4301 v1

and a beer, in a tree....

18+ devices is a lot to ask of a router with a release date of 2010.

What is your incoming band width?

NYBo

Admiral
Are getting the IP address conflict only when you and your wife are trying to use the wireless at the same time?

Try running these lines from a command prompt on both computers. Hit <enter> after each line.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
18+ devices is a lot to ask of a router with a release date of 2010.

What is your incoming band width?

If you are asking what I think you are we have 37 down and 9 up. It's a good day, usually less than that.

southkogs

Staff member
I just had to retire my Apple Airport Extreme a week or so ago. It wasn't giving me any errors, but we weren't getting all of our bandwidth out of it either (I have 6 people in the house, all tapping the wireless - the 20-somethings are chewing up the data with a vengence).

I had that Apple box running for a dog's life and it was incredibly reliable. But it turns out that with age, it just couldn't push the data flow that was pouring in from the cable modem. I opted to move over to a new Linksys Velop, and it almost doubled the connection rate I was getting on a single device.

I'd take the gut punch and get a new router.

bassman284

Commander
I just had to retire my Apple Airport Extreme a week or so ago. It wasn't giving me any errors, but we weren't getting all of our bandwidth out of it either (I have 6 people in the house, all tapping the wireless - the 20-somethings are chewing up the data with a vengence).

I had that Apple box running for a dog's life and it was incredibly reliable. But it turns out that with age, it just couldn't push the data flow that was pouring in from the cable modem. I opted to move over to a new Linksys Velop, and it almost doubled the connection rate I was getting on a single device.

I'd take the gut punch and get a new router.

Yeah, I retired a ~8 year old Belkin N600DB a couple months ago for the same reason and I only have 2 computers on it. I was supposed to be getting 60 mbps and was only getting about 20 at best, usually less. New router has them both banging out 64-65.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ok, my tp link with lots of antennas was good but about two years old now.

Recommendations for under $200 Alex....I

Just us two 99% of the time, and all our devices.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The linksys is pretty and the velop has antennas making it look bada..

then lots of gobbledygook words.

southkogs

Staff member
I think that's who I wound up buying mine from too (that's past the 48 hour "recall" mark).