Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a computer dork; Wi-Fi router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need a computer dork; Wi-Fi router

    Lost out two year old TP link to this week's stormstorm. I had a couple year old Belkin new in the box. Fixed her up, reset all smart home devices (not fun) but now when my wife and I are both working at home I get an IP conflict notice. Prior to the TP link we had a Belkin and never had this issue.


    I think it is affecting my smart home as well as our main one goes unresponsive intermittently even when showing online when goes off line. One of my nest thermostats disconnected and I had to reconnect. Neither of them have done that.

    Soooo.....

    Does it cause any real issues which to me it is and if so how to correct?I


    Pretend I know no lingo. Speak redneck.
    1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

    Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

  • #2
    Your overloading the router. Too many devices connected. Not enough HP to manage the routing requests.

    Time for a new router
    ....

    Comment


    • #3
      Sounds like DHCP may not be enabled . . . can you post some screen shots of the setup screens?

      Also, did you re-start all of your home devices when you went to the new router?
      Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

      Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
      Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
      Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

      My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Using a static IP address on anything?
        ....

        Comment


        • #5
          Each device on the network has to have its own unique address (IP - typically 10.10.x.x or 192.168.x.x). You can't have duplicates and your error message says you have at least 2, if not more, with the same address. This is a result of setting the addresses manually (static) instead of using the router to hand them out (DHCP).

          Go through the configuration of all your smart home devices and make sure they have a unique address. I would suggest creating a quick document that lays out all the addresses you assigned to avoid conflicts if you need static addresses.

          IF it were me....

          192.168.1.254 - First PC
          192.168.1.253 - Second PC
          192.168.1.252 - Printer (I assume you share one on either wifi or ethernet cable)
          192.168.1.251 - 192.168.1.201 - left intentionally unassigned as it allow for future growth on computing needs/wants.
          192.168.1.200 - First smart home device
          192.168.1.199 - Second smart home device
          192.168.1.198 - Third smart home device
          and so on

          **This assumes you haven't adjusted the internal network settings for the router as some allow you to change it to whatever you want.
          2017 Chaparral 19 H2O Ski & Fish w./4.3L 180HP Merc Alpha
          2005 Four Winns 200Le x/5.0L Volvo SX-M (270HP - FI) - ordered new, traded in on Chaparral
          1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS w/2000 Honda 115HP - ordered new, traded in on Four Winns
          1956 MFG 15' w/matching Evinrude Big Twin 30HP - presumed to be a sandbox somewhere


          Tow Vehicle:
          2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

          Comment


          • #6
            Point of clarification: I believe that what you seek is a computer geek, not a dork. A dork is usually a rather slow-witted person, of which we don't (I think) have many on iboats. Geeks, however, are plentiful around here, thank heavens!
            Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

            Comment


            • #7
              On I'll be the dork.

              I hear those words and I know they mean something

              Long day today but I did reset all devices, I did nothing manually all auto. Side and I both wireless in fact nothing g hardwired
              1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

              Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tpenfield View Post
                Sounds like DHCP may not be enabled . . . can you post some screen shots of the setup screens?

                Also, did you re-start all of your home devices when you went to the new router?
                OK Ted, what can you not do? I'm impressed.
                '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

                Comment


                • #9
                  thanks everyone - apologize for the pause but the boy closed on his first house on Thursday, which is quarter mile up the road, and been moving, fixing 50's era house solid but little things neglected so been doing all the dad things that need doing (I'm the stepdad real dad lives a whopping 20 minutes away and hasn't shown up yet) so not much time for anything else.

                  TP - screen shots? No, other than the on-screen error. I have no clue how to get into the thing online. It came with a disk to run but I'm on company laptop (so is wife) and we have no drives to run it on so I threw it away. I did not restart anything, just reconnected with new unit, password etc.


                  Dingbat - I plugged and played.



                  What we have connected:

                  one TV (plus new one coming for the back patio)
                  DIRECTV (although i work for them not a clue how many i think just the Genie then the clients run thru that)
                  5 echo devices
                  two laptops
                  two tablets
                  two phones
                  two Nest thermostats
                  Acurite weather station
                  TP link wall plug
                  some brand lightbulb
                  Nest doorbell
                  guests phones when they are here

                  Printer is hardwired, no wifi (although capable may be another thread when I get my new company laptop)

                  Belkin model F7D4301 v1

                  and a beer, in a tree....


                  1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

                  Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by redneck joe View Post
                    thanks everyone - apologize for the pause but the boy closed on his first house on Thursday, which is quarter mile up the road, and been moving, fixing 50's era house solid but little things neglected so been doing all the dad things that need doing (I'm the stepdad real dad lives a whopping 20 minutes away and hasn't shown up yet) so not much time for anything else.

                    TP - screen shots? No, other than the on-screen error. I have no clue how to get into the thing online. It came with a disk to run but I'm on company laptop (so is wife) and we have no drives to run it on so I threw it away. I did not restart anything, just reconnected with new unit, password etc.


                    Dingbat - I plugged and played.



                    What we have connected:

                    one TV (plus new one coming for the back patio)
                    DIRECTV (although i work for them not a clue how many i think just the Genie then the clients run thru that)
                    5 echo devices
                    two laptops
                    two tablets
                    two phones
                    two Nest thermostats
                    Acurite weather station
                    TP link wall plug
                    some brand lightbulb
                    Nest doorbell
                    guests phones when they are here

                    Printer is hardwired, no wifi (although capable may be another thread when I get my new company laptop)

                    Belkin model F7D4301 v1

                    and a beer, in a tree....

                    18+ devices is a lot to ask of a router with a release date of 2010.

                    What is your incoming band width?
                    ....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Are getting the IP address conflict only when you and your wife are trying to use the wireless at the same time?

                      Try running these lines from a command prompt on both computers. Hit <enter> after each line.

                      ipconfig /release
                      ipconfig /renew
                      Bob, Seneca Lake NY
                      '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
                      '94 Grumman Fish'N Fun pontoon, 40 HP Merc
                      Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
                      Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by dingbat View Post

                        18+ devices is a lot to ask of a router with a release date of 2010.

                        What is your incoming band width?
                        If you are asking what I think you are we have 37 down and 9 up. It's a good day, usually less than that.
                        1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

                        Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I just had to retire my Apple Airport Extreme a week or so ago. It wasn't giving me any errors, but we weren't getting all of our bandwidth out of it either (I have 6 people in the house, all tapping the wireless - the 20-somethings are chewing up the data with a vengence).

                          I had that Apple box running for a dog's life and it was incredibly reliable. But it turns out that with age, it just couldn't push the data flow that was pouring in from the cable modem. I opted to move over to a new Linksys Velop, and it almost doubled the connection rate I was getting on a single device.

                          I'd take the gut punch and get a new router.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by southkogs View Post
                            I just had to retire my Apple Airport Extreme a week or so ago. It wasn't giving me any errors, but we weren't getting all of our bandwidth out of it either (I have 6 people in the house, all tapping the wireless - the 20-somethings are chewing up the data with a vengence).

                            I had that Apple box running for a dog's life and it was incredibly reliable. But it turns out that with age, it just couldn't push the data flow that was pouring in from the cable modem. I opted to move over to a new Linksys Velop, and it almost doubled the connection rate I was getting on a single device.

                            I'd take the gut punch and get a new router.
                            Yeah, I retired a ~8 year old Belkin N600DB a couple months ago for the same reason and I only have 2 computers on it. I was supposed to be getting 60 mbps and was only getting about 20 at best, usually less. New router has them both banging out 64-65.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sign up today
                              Ok, my tp link with lots of antennas was good but about two years old now.


                              Recommendations for under $200 Alex....I

                              Just us two 99% of the time, and all our devices.
                              1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

                              Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X