10K Deck over tilt or with ramps

alldodge

Staff member
Have to many trailers and need more then my car trailer. Going to buy a tractor (60 to 80 hp) which will be in the 6K to 8K load range. May get some other attachments, but for right now, just trying to figure issues with two different type trailers. Plan to use a 2 5/16 or pintle but like 2 5/16 better due to less wobble/noise.

The tractor will fit between a 102 inch width trailer with fenders but a tilt trailer could make things easier in one area, but may have issues in another. What issues have been found with these different types?

I do have a 10 Ton pintle hitch trailer, but it is real heavy and would need to haul using the dump truck with a large load. I want to haul using the 2500 pickup

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Does your 3/4 ton have a 5th wheel hitch? If son your looking at the neighborhood of about 24k worth of GVW with truck, trailer and load.

You may need a CDL (check your local regs).

When I worked for Cummins our one truck was a 3/4T dodge with a 5th wheel and we would regularly tip the scales at the limit transporting gensets. Drivers would get lunch and top off the tanks after the scales

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry guys let me try to narrow the comments before they go to far off what I'm asking

Don't want a goose neck, or need CDL requirements, would appreciate comments about pintle or ball hitch trailers with and with out tilt and standard or deck tilt

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The 2-5/16 is better than a pintle. However most beaver tail trailers have a higher capacity than tilt trailers

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't like tilts and I don't like pintle trailers when I am towing heavy loads, to many areas of movement, if you live in a place like I do, it is unnerving and will eventually cause damage to either the pintle or the tilt mechanism. So, my personal choice would be the 2 5/16th with the stable deck trailer and use heavy duty ramps to get the tractor on the trailer then tie down. Or I have used a raised section and back the trailer up to the hill and drive onto the trailer with no ramps.

No CDL requirements and is a common set up around here.

alldodge

Staff member
Good thing about pintle is not to many can barrow the trailer, the bad is all the rattling.

Plan to look for 2 5/16 with drive over fenders and ramps

harringtondav

Commander
AllDodge I'm curious about two things: Which tractor model are you considering? I retired from JD working with their utility tractors in this class. Also, would a weight distributing hitch be any value in your set up?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm looking at the M series Kubota. The older M6800 is 70.9HP w/ 62 at the PTO

Weight distribution will add capacity and have not forgot about it