lawnboy engine replacement?

82rude

Rear Admiral
I believe the old girl has given up the ghost.1997 gold series 5hp 2 stroke .will not spark atall anymore .New coil is around 50 I believe.Harbor freight has 5.5 predator lawnmower engines for 114 .Will that work as a replacement for my old 2 stroke motor?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I believe the old girl has given up the ghost.1997 gold series 5hp 2 stroke .will not spark atall anymore .New coil is around 50 I believe.Harbor freight has 5.5 predator lawnmower engines for 114 .Will that work as a replacement for my old 2 stroke motor?

Should work just fine, I have purchased a couple of them over the years and they have been good motors and I had no problems with them.

bigdee

Commander
Good motor. I have had mine for 4 years and has never failed to start on 1st pull even after sitting all winter. Quiet running and lots of torque. Its a Honda clone but it outperforms( as far as starting on 1st pull) the Honda that I have on another mower.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Hopefully its the coil.Worst case I lose out on 13 bucks.Lawnboy, 114 bucks American ,aftermarket, 13 Canadian and a 2 year warranty from amazon.ca!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Hopefully its the coil.Worst case I lose out on 13 bucks.Lawnboy, 114 bucks American ,aftermarket, 13 Canadian and a 2 year warranty from amazon.ca!

Where you at in Canada, I am only about 60 miles from the border and would be happy to pick you one up at our new local Harbor Freight store and meet ya!

:)

82rude

Rear Admiral
Im in Sault ste Marie Ontario.if I need a motor Traverse City Michigan is just down the highway a couple of hours.I will try the coil idea first its only 13 dollars Canadian.Thanks for the kind offer

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you may find that a 4-stroke motor will not bolt onto a 2-stroke deck. the lawnboy motor exhaust exits below the deck to where the blades are. I also believe that the bolt pattern on the motor is different

I have had a few lawnboys over the years and the coils do tend to die. however if you buy the coil with the longer lead its actually only $25 vs $50

bigdee

Commander
you may find that a 4-stroke motor will not bolt onto a 2-stroke deck. the lawnboy motor exhaust exits below the deck to where the blades are. I also believe that the bolt pattern on the motor is different

I have had a few lawnboys over the years and the coils do tend to die. however if you buy the coil with the longer lead its actually only $25 vs $50

If I remember correctly the HF engine comes with a template to drill the bolt pattern.