2008 Smart Fortwo Passion

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Daughter has a 2008 Smart Fortwo Passion wiht about 45k on the clock. She called last Monday saying she was driving in Seattle, Hit a bump, and all the dash lights came on, then the dash went dead. I told her to check the battery, sounded like a loose connection.

Battery is in the front passenger floorboard. When she opened up the compartment, it was full of water. The AC drain was stopped up and had flooded the floor. I have pulled all the carpet, dried out the carpet, vacuumed all the water up and dried the interior. The TCM was submerged, it has been pulled and dried and cleaned. The Yaw sensor was submerged, it has been pulled, cleaned and dried. Could not open the Yaw sensor though.

Put everything back together, still have no dash lights, speedometer, front turn signals, odometer or idiot lights.

Questions: Does the TCM affect the instrument cluster? Has anyone had success with repairing a SAM? Everything i read points to a bad SAM, however it wasnt affected by water.

At this point, I am out of ideas where to proceed. Hoping someone out there can offer some insight.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
UPDATE: The SAM (Signal Acquisition Module) was fried. It is also locked to the VIN and requires Mercedes Proprietary software to program. Took the car to Mercedes, $2100 and get it back on Wednesday. All because or the AC drain stopping up.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just wait until you set an airbag off by mistake, which I did last fall while mounting my front hitch on the truck!

:eek:

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Found out the difference between Burnt up and Burnt Slap up is about $400.00 :)