Toilet advice

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Need to get one for the new half bath. A few years back we got a 2 speed flush from HD. It was ok, talk is why we really bought it. Bought two more to replace. Really not happy, poor flush even on the poop mode.

Any advice on which one to get here? All the singles are 1.28 gallon, these are 1.6 in poo mode so counter intuitive as to why we don't get good cleaning.

alldodge

Staff member
Bought 2 each of the new Kohler model, and no issues and has no problems flushing big loads :D
If you want to flush more water just hold the handle down a little longer, but so far it has not been needed. Uses very little water

Also mine are the +2 inch taller (I think its +2, might be 1.5) just the additional height is kind of nice when getting older

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah, it seems you can't get a good strong flush these days. I wonder how those flushometer type setups work. You know, the ones without a tank that you see in buildings in major cities.
Aside from how loud they are, they work really well. Can they be used in a residential application?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well if ya wasn’t so full of it ...:rolleyes:
‘It’s a shame they don’t let you take a test ride like buying a car ...

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I looked up flushometer and it seems they need a larger volume of water. At least a 1" Supply line.
The next best thing would be a pressure assisted toilet. Which seem to work real well, but they are expensive and a bit louder than a conventional toilet too. More of an air rushing in sound if I recall.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
‘It’s a shame they don’t let you take a test ride like buying a car ...

Just like buying a mattress! :rofl:

I am keeping my eyes peeled while strolling through the plumbing section at Home Depot and ready to run. :sour:

dwco5051

Commander
Bought 2 each of the new Kohler model, and no issues and has no problems flushing big loads :D
If you want to flush more water just hold the handle down a little longer, but so far it has not been needed. Uses very little water

Also mine are the +2 inch taller (I think its +2, might be 1.5) just the additional height is kind of nice when getting older

Kohler and American Standard both make good products. You don't need the most expensive but stay away from the cheapest. When I built the house we live in now I went with Eljer two speed, elongated bowl, 17" rim height and they have worked great for 10 years now. However Eljer is no longer in business. I would never install any thing but the elongated bowl and chair height if I was to build again. I still have good mobility but the extra height is really nice. The elongated bowl makes up for my shortcomings in other areas.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah that's why we swapped a few years back. I'm of the age now where the extra neighbor important....

My sister lives in Denmark, the have one you would think is going to explode it pushes water thru so violently. Unfortunately their brand isn't sold here.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get a Kohler. their test lab uses a pound of gravel and a pound of peanut butter during the test flushes.

Denmark has different laws on water consumption, so they can do a super-flush

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah but they are still 'low flow' just not sure of how much.

and Kohler must be watching my sewer system.