OAT + Ethylene Glycol screw up

harringtondav

Commander
I didn't know about OAT coolants until I read about them in a Merc. Sterndrive post. And after I topped off my OAT sealed reservoir system in my '16 Cherokee 2.4L with the Ethylene Glycol. I had a warranty coolant hose leak. Maybe 12-16 oz. in the car's 6-8 qt (?) OAT system.

Yep, it said OAT on the reservoir cap. So I intend to flush and refill. I understand these two coolants don't like each other, and goo can/will form. Is there a coolant system flush product that will remove any goo that I may have going on in my cooling system?

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Not sure you will need a flush product, but if you do want to use one, just pick up any radiator flush product and walmart or other. I would just drain fill, short run, drain and refill with correct stuff

harringtondav

Commander
Not sure you will need a flush product, but if you do want to use one, just pick up any radiator flush product and walmart or other. I would just drain fill, short run, drain and refill with correct stuff

Thanks. I hope I get off that easy.

alldodge

Staff member
Will say that Chrysler products use HOAT and not OAT (will be yellow or amber color)

fishrdan

Admiral
If the system isn't contaminated yet, I would do as AD said, quick flush to get rid of the green AF and refill with the correct AF.

My Durango was serviced with old green antifreeze before I bought it... So I had to flush the cooling system to get rid of the white coating all over everything, nasty mess. (Hope you don't have to do this....)

I used citric acid ($10/5lb on Ebay) instead of commercially available "canned" products and it worked very well, sparkly clean. It's a royal pain to do the job correctly, since it's time consuming and you need to pull the thermostat and put a "dummy" (center part removed) thermostat in place, so the cooling system is flowing 100% all of the time. Mercedes or BMW recommend citric acid for their vehicles, look up their procedure.

Basically:
- drain old AF
- put in dummy thermostat
- flush system with water
- wash out cooling system to get rid of oils and old AF (simple green or liquid laundry detergent)
- flush system with water 2-3 times to get rid of soap
- boil up citric acid in water and fill cooling system
- drive around with heater on, watch temp gauge (I drove for an hour+-)
- drain acid
- flush system with water, cap off and drive for 4-5 minutes (do this 4-5 times to get the acid and gunk out)
- drain and fill system with distilled water, let run for a couple minutes to dilute raw water (I did this twice)
- replace thermostat
- drain and fill with new antifreeze (Zerex G-05 or whatever is speced for your vehcile)
- DO NOT PUT COLD WATER INTO A HOT ENGINE!!!!!

It's a time consuming procedure as you need to let the engine cool down at each step so the cooling system isn't pressurized or engine "hot". I used a "Safety Lever radiator cap" to make sure the system wasn't pressurized before opening it up. Pop a box fan on top of the engine to help cool it down, engine not running of course.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have cleaned many OAT/EG and HOAT/EG contamination systems. If you didnt run the system, you may get away with a drain, clean water flush and drain and then fill. If you ran the system and the two coolants formed a sludge.... Use a good radiartor flush, follow up with a fresh water flush, then fill

harringtondav

Commander
Thanks everyone. I did run it before I knew I messed up. Still running it. 6-8% contaminated with the Glycol. Will the goo, "white coating" be visible on the inside of the system's hoses?. This is a pressurized reservoir system. Will the residue be visible in the reservoir tank?

It seems to be cooling OK. I'm going to do the flush and replace. I just want to know how extensive a cleaning I need to do. Residue seems to mean use a flushing solution of some kind. None means go with drain, fill, run, drain, fill w/OAT (my reservoir states that).
Thanks again.

ps. I can purchase Damlier-Chrysler's Mopar ms-12106 at Amazon for $29 + shipping. Prestone Dex-Cool meets the same spec., and Dodge forums say that Dex-Cool is what DCA re-labels. I'm not that cheap for $10+shipping. But I can trot over to my local Advance Auto and pick it up.

Any thoughts?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Prestone has an HOAT coolant. I used to pick it up at advance auto