Tecumseh carburetor question

starcentral

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Ariens ST824 snowblower with a Tecumseh carburetor. It needs rebuild, probably a good cleaning out but for starters thought I would try a small rebuild kit.

The kit came with new needle and needle seat, but after taking bowl and float off and inspecting bottom of carb with mirror I don't see any needle seat in the the part where needle goes.

So my question, do all carbs need a needle seat or do some work without one?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you probably dropped the needle on the ground

all carbs have a needle and seat.

many carbs, the seat is part of the carb and the needle is rubber tipped.

Stens is the aftermarket branch of Ariens. if you have customer service questions, feel free to call Ariens customer service at (920) 756-4688

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Step one: Remove the carb so it can be actually worked on. Clean the whole works. If all you do is stick the needle in while it's mounted on the machine, it still won't work properly.

fireman57

Captain
I just bought a brand new carb for a Briggs for 15.00 online. Quicker than going through the old one. Just put it on and went. Doa search for the carb you need. You might be surprised.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
On snow blowers and lawn mowers I don't even worry about rebuilding them, I buy a new one and bolt them on and get back to work, they are cheap now a days.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the problem with the cheap carbs is they come from china and there are still metal shavings in them.

then they run lean, and the head goes into melt down

at a minimum pull the new carb apart and inspect.

this was a known issue for many years thru-out the OPEI community.

bigdee

Commander
I have had good results with those cheap carbs. Not a big fan of the plastic floats though so I have removed brass float from old carb and installed it in the China carb. I never found metal shavings in mine but like scott said inspect and blow out passages with compressed air.

starcentral

Seaman Apprentice
I took the bowl off very carefully and don't think the needle seat fell out, either way, it sounds like 100% there should have been a small rubber seat in there. thanks for the replies.

In the meantime I found a replacement carb with gasket for $15 so I might go that route as well if I got no luck cleaning out the old carb.

thanks guys

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
The chances of one of those rubber seats falling out on its own are between slim and none.
Never seen a Tecumseh carb without one.
If the motor is of a certain vintage, the tip of the needle can be rubber and no rubber seat, but that was a while ago.

starcentral

Seaman Apprentice
The chances of one of those rubber seats falling out on its own are between slim and none.
Never seen a Tecumseh carb without one.
If the motor is of a certain vintage, the tip of the needle can be rubber and no rubber seat, but that was a while ago.

Thanks for reply, 100% agree there's no way it would fall out. I think the last guy who rebuilt/worked on the carb took it out and forgot to put one back in. Most runs but won't idle low, maybe another issue. Either way, I bought a replacement full carb for $14 (plastic float as others suspected). I will put it on and see how snowblower runs by comparison.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That little rubber seat is easy to miss, done it myself, not paying attention, blew out the carb with compressed air, along with the seat. Never did find the darn thing....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
That little rubber seat is easy to miss, done it myself, not paying attention, blew out the carb with compressed air, along with the seat. Never did find the darn thing....

but a guy 3 doors down may have gotten hit in the head by it.....

I launched a brake piston across the shop and thru a window once using air.

dwco5051

Commander
but a guy 3 doors down may have gotten hit in the head by it.....

I launched a brake piston across the shop and thru a window once using air.

Was fixing a 3/8" inch pneumatic ratchet and couldn't get the air motor out of the housing once. Surprising how far it can fly with just one quick tap on the trigger.

starcentral

Seaman Apprentice
You guys ever see a hot water tank break through floor and out of a roof? I heard about it happening, never seen it though.

:lol:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have seen pictures, however not first hand experience of a water heater explosion. I did see a C02 tank get knocked over, knock off its valve, ricochet off the hot water heater and go thru a block wall when I worked at a Ponderosa over 33 years ago.

the tank cap wasnt installed and the tank wasnt chained when it got knocked over and hit the wall. I believe the guy that was mopping the floor and bumped it pooh'd himself