winter tires

82rude

Rear Admiral
As most know by now I bought a 2013 ford edge awd this summer.It has Michelin latitude green x touring tires on it now with nice chrome clad rims.Ive read that the tires suck in the wintertime.So I was up at my local ford dealership chatting with the store manager and he has a set of mich winter tires on spoked black steel rims with the sensors also.He figures they have 9k on them max.New would be 1800 cnd with rims and sensors so im figuring 450 or so is a great price for the set.Cannot afford new and this would allow me to get more time out of the touring tires.Anybody else have dedicated winter tires and thoughts?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when I lived in WI, I always ran winter only tires on the cars and SUV installing them about Thanksgiving and pulling them about Easter.

My preference was Dunlop Graspic DS1's over the Michelins (same grip for half the cost). Although i ran winterforce (on the Audi Q) and hakkapeliitta as well.

I usually picked up a set of take-off wheels from craigslist or ebay and have the tires mounted.

My father and sister and many friends do the same.

there is no such thing as an all-season tire unless you live in FL or AZ

I would offer 1300 CND to see if they take it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
As most know by now I bought a 2013 ford edge awd this summer.It has Michelin latitude green x touring tires on it now with nice chrome clad rims.Ive read that the tires suck in the wintertime.

It's not the tires.... it's pick-ups in general. Most guys I know fill the bed with wood for the winter.

I've had Michelin touring tires on my Tahoe (4x4) since new. The thing is a tank in mud, snow and sand. Driven back and forth over the Appalachians in snow storms to visit customers up north and in the Mid-west more times than I care to remember.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Scott its 450 for the package their used.For that price dingbat cant go wrong for the extra grip and stopping power.Awd works great,ive tried to get the edge to break loose ,cant do it.Its not a off road vehicle like my f150 was but that's why I have a Polaris ace for going way back in the god forsaken bush.Honestly I wasn't really sure if I would like a awd suv but I have to say I love it .Haven't met a ramp or launch yet that would make a tire spin more than a few inches before it grabs and takes off.Still, cant wait till the new ranger comes out and maybe the bronco .Maybe in 5 or 6 years I might want to buy one of them used as my pension is not big enough to buy new .

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well I dragged home a set of like new bridgestone blizzak tires on black steel slotted rims with tps sensors..Couldnt talk him down off of 500 cnd but he gave me a full set of custom weather tech mats for the edge for free.All in all im happy .Way it looks to me the front and back seat mats are 268 cnd and the rear cargo mat is 159 cnd.While I was there the owner of the ford dealership called me and the manager to the back where the bodyshop was and showed us a stand the guys had made to display a new Polaris snow machine and above it a mini -mini Polaris 500 indy.He owns the ford dealership plus the artic cat/Polaris dealership in town.Also a car collector (classics).Ive seen the 62 and 50,s linclons he has and apparently he has several more old fords and chevs too.Wonder if he,d adopt a 60 year old son,lol.

Last edited:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
$450 is a heck of a deal. One thing though to keep in mind when it comes to used tires and awd, the tread on the front and rear tires need to be within 3/32 of each other. Mismatched tires are often a primary factor in drivetrain damage. To minimize variances, always match tires: same brand, size and type. The tread depth difference between front and rear tiresshould be no more than 3/32nds of an inch.
An example - we have an awd suv bought new. At 8000 miles I blew out and destroyed a tire. No tire retailer would replace just one. It had to be all 4 tires. Was told that they could replace one if there were less than 3000 miles on them and tread difference between new and old was not more than 3/32. Also it had to be the same brand, same size etc. was told this by more than one tire place.
So im saying that if you buy a set of 4 used tires there should not be a difference of more than 3/32 between the two you put on the front and the 2 you put on the back.

82rude

Rear Admiral
The tires are basically new,if he had of said they were new I would of believed him their that good.One thing I noticed and luckily before they are on is that their directional .

82rude

Rear Admiral
Best I can figure tires are 231 each,rims 125-150,tps 50 each(ford factory and rims also so their maybe over 150.Including mats I figure I paid 250 for tires and rims if you figure in the cost of custom mats by weathertech.So after American turkey day is about when to install Scott?According to the canuck tire association 7 Celsius and below is when to install for best performance.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Major dissimilar tire sizes between the front and rear axles (for example, 17 inch low profile tires on the front axle and 22 inch high profile tires on the rear axle) could cause the AWD system to stop functioning and default to front-wheel drive or damage the AWD system.

However, the AWD system is capable of tolerating any combination of new and worn tires of the same original tire size. For example, using 3 worn tread tires and 1 new tread tire all of the same original tire size, can be tolerated by the AWD system

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...G1748349&div=fo

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Major dissimilar tire sizes between the front and rear axles (for example, 17 inch low profile tires on the front axle and 22 inch high profile tires on the rear axle) could cause the AWD system to stop functioning and default to front-wheel drive or damage the AWD system.

However, the AWD system is capable of tolerating any combination of new and worn tires of the same original tire size. For example, using 3 worn tread tires and 1 new tread tire all of the same original tire size, can be tolerated by the AWD system

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...G1748349&div=fo

I had 3 different tire retailers and one dealer (a Honda dealer) tell me as I previously stated. In addition there are several internet sites that confirm what I said. We will just have to agree to disagree. Here is just one site fr9m a national tire retailer

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/replace-all-4-tires-on-your-awd-vehicle.html

82rude

Rear Admiral
All 4 tires are being replaced with 4 tires off of another edge that the managers wife owned.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
All 4 tires are being replaced with 4 tires off of another edge that the managers wife owned.

I think you will be just fine. I just wanted to make people aware of potential problems with tires and awd. I personally would snap up those tires in a second

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yes ,it was a no brainer.Winter can get very nasty and long up here.My dad has a little Pontiac sunfire and in the winter I put on his studded winter tires and that thing has yet to get stuck .

82rude

Rear Admiral
Picked up the weathertech mats today.They totally cover the floor from stem to stern.Any garbage or snow will never hit the carpet the way their designed.Wont be changing any tires this year as the torn tendon in the elbow is really acting up.Guess I will get ford to do it as their price is the same if not better than the independents.They had a new f150 at the door when I was there and the color was stunning.Its called Magma.Sort of a redish brown and looks fantastic at least to me.

NYBo

Admiral
True winter tires make a tremendous difference, especially in turning and stopping, which aren't helped by AWD. Sounds like you got a fantastic deal!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Not quite sure why a guy from the Sault is asking whether winter tires are a good idea....:eek::D..
Heck, I am only from Eastern Ontario and I have the snows on my Subaru AWD already....Friday I'll throw the chains under the back seat just in case.

82rude

Rear Admiral
This is my first suv,ive always had a 4x4 truck forever.Everybody seems to be starting to put the winters on now according to my ford dealer so maybe next week for me as temps are looking to be 6 or so Celsius from next week on.7 and less is recommended for putting them on.My brother went to camp on the Montreal/Cow river this weekend and there was snow on the ground all weekend. Their forecasting 75 mm of rain tonight north of us so many washouts are possible as the ground is very saturated.You are correct though Tim it is a no brainer for my area to change to snows:joyous: