Spark plug change in ‘05 Ford Triton 5.4 liter 3 valve engine

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Since my F150 finally hit 100,000 miles, I figured I couldn’t put off changing spark plugs any longer. I’ve been dreading this, because these are the two-piece plugs with a really long barrel below the threaded section. The barrels have a tendency to get coated in carbon, which often causes the plugs to snap off when being removed, leaving the barrel stuck in the head.

All 8 plugs came out without a hitch! I used a stubby impact to zip them out after running the engine to get it good and hot. I have really loved my F150, but whoever designed this engine deserves a serious beating.

Since I’m learning to do my own maintenance, I’m tackling changing the transmission and differential fluids next. Of course, Ford neglected to include a drain plug on any of them...

robert graham

Admiral
They don't make their vehicles owner service friendly....maybe so you'll take it to the dealership for maintenance$$$$$

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Just for the record, I've never owned a car, even going back to the '60's, that had a transmission drain plug. Trying to drop a pan full of fluid without dumping it all over the driveway was a skill I never mastered.

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you ran a greater risk of stripping the plug holes on a hot motor than a cold motor

drain plugs in trans pans and diff covers went away about 40 years ago.

too many people draining their trans pan, adding 5 more quarts of engine oil, then complaining the motors ran like crap and the trans didnt work. so to stop consumers from damaging the vehicles and to save money... the drains went away. that and you get dinged in consumer reports for service points. the less maintenance points, the better the product looks in a comparison.

drain plugs, zirk fittings, etc. all disappeared because of this.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Make sure to use the correct fluid in the diffs, I it is a 75W-140 synthetic. I also add the additive for the anti slip clutch paks. If you have the 2 piece drive shaft, grease the yokes also.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
you ran a greater risk of stripping the plug holes on a hot motor than a cold motor

drain plugs in trans pans and diff covers went away about 40 years ago.

too many people draining their trans pan, adding 5 more quarts of engine oil, then complaining the motors ran like crap and the trans didnt work. so to stop consumers from damaging the vehicles and to save money... the drains went away. that and you get dinged in consumer reports for service points. the less maintenance points, the better the product looks in a comparison.

drain plugs, zirk fittings, etc. all disappeared because of this.

Yes re: the hot motor and stripping the plug holes. This has become a commonly recommended approach for these engines, though. The risk is mitigated by zooming them out with the impacr, and by making sure you’re dead on the plug (i.e., no side loading). I wouldn’t try this on any other engine.

I still think the absence of drain plugs is stupid.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Make sure to use the correct fluid in the diffs, I it is a 75W-140 synthetic. I also add the additive for the anti slip clutch paks. If you have the 2 piece drive shaft, grease the yokes also.

Got the additive and the 75w-140. I need to check the drive shaft... not sure where to grease if I have the. 2 piece, though.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Just for the record, I've never owned a car, even going back to the '60's, that had a transmission drain plug. Trying to drop a pan full of fluid without dumping it all over the driveway was a skill I never mastered.

My .02

I think it's hard enough if you have a lift and can stand under the vehicle. Trying to do while lying on the ground with the truck on jack stands should be a real treat! Apparently Dorman makes a replacement transmission pan that does include a drain. I'm considering it...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The solution is to use a vacuum oil change pump and do it just like you do on the boat. Snake the plastic hose down the dipstick tube and then suck out about 4 qts and then you can remove the pan without making a mess.

robert graham

Admiral
You can purchase transmission pans with drain plugs on line....just enter your model number....I got one for my TH 400 chrome plated and heavy duty metal that didn't deform under bolt heads...nice drain plug....no more fluid change issues....always use a new gasket.

ezbtr

Commander

My .02

I installed my own drain plugs in all auto trannys :)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I purchased a replacement pan with a plug and hope to get it installed soon. I plan to paint the word "transmission" on the bottom of the pan to prevent some newbie at the shop from draining the wrong pan during an oil change. (I usually change my own oil, but if things get busy and I need to have it done, I don't want my transmission drained by mistake!)

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Consider yourself lucky when it comes to spark plugs and the Triton engines. My son in law found out the hard way with his e250 van. He was driving along when one of the spark plugs literally blew out of the head, taking out the coil pack with it. We found the plug laying on top of the engine and the coil pack busted up. I sent a borescope in there and there are bearly any threads left in there. The plug won't catch at all when trying to screw it in. It's basically a lost cause.
Apparently this is a common occurrence with these engines. The aluminum heads are defective in that they are not fully threaded from the factory and the plugs can be forced out by engine compression. The fix is to heli-coil the plug holes. Good luck with that in a van where you can hardly get your hands in there let alone getting a drill and tap for the heli-coil repair. Maybe on an F series there would be better access.
It's a disgrace that Ford won't acknowledge this problem.
If I had one of these engines, I would not attempt to disturb any of the spark plugs in fear of this problem. Better yet, I would quickly get rid of the truck.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think the spark plug ejecting engines were actually an earlier version (ending in '04 perhaps) than mine. Although I like the truck, the Triton engine really was poorly designed; either they launched the plugs out of the engine (like your SIL's) or they ran the risk of breaking off (like mine). They have a few other particularly annoying design flaws, too. The worst thing is that Ford never lived up their mistake by recalling the vehicles. Shameful.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
The 98-03 5.4L were the ones that liked to eject spark plugs if not properly seated. The 04-08 were the first version with issues removing the spark plugs. If you follow the TSB, they generally come out with little issues.