'03 Ford Ranger electric window stopped working

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
The driver side electric window stopped working. (All the way down). I hear a distinct "click" under the dash somewhere when pushing the button to go up; nothing going down. Tried a shot of alcohol from the top; no help. Anybody got a clue where to start? I have had switch problems on this door before. (Door lock)
Passenger side working OK

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know for sure, but have had the actual switch go bad more then anything else. There usually easy enough to replace

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Likely your hearing the power relay.

Your going to have to pull the door panel off, unbolt the windi to remove it, drill out the rivets to pull the regulator assembly

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Ugh! Doesn't sound exciting. Looks like I need to see if my mechanic buddy down in Houston is still in business.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a 20 minute job to get the window regulator out. may only need to clean the contacts in the motor. may need a new motor.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Scott; food for thought. Right now its parked in the barn (Cab covered with a tarp). Don't use as a daily driver; belonged to my FIL. If I could get the window back up; I would be happy.

I got another project I'm starting. A book case for one of my GC; his Mom wants me to make it for a heirloom. His birthday is in November.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Update!! With Scott's advice and Utube; it's working. It was the motor. The rivets were a @#%. Luckly a cutoff wheel would fit in; used it. Rest of it was fairly easy. Thanks Scott!