rust neutralizer

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've seen on TV shows where they use something to neutralize rust on metals but leaves the rust look there. I've searched but everything I find is 'converter' which put it to a black finish but I want the remaining paint(s) and the rust left on. Or should I just wire wheel the loose off an slap some poly on it? It is for inside, no moisture (we hope)

bigdee

Commander
rust converter turns it into black oxide. If you want rust use poly.

tpenfield

Staff member
Most of the rust treatments either convert it (and the appearance) or remove it. Not sure what you would have seen on TV.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joe, what are we working on

for metal, the rust converters sort of slow the rust down by a few percent, however dont really work

POR 15 is a joke

my experience restoring cars was either an acid bath followed by neutralizing, or blasting took care of rust.

bigdee

Commander
Scott Danforth;n10643947 the rust converters sort of slow the rust down by a few percent said:
I have to disagree. They work only IF rust is present. Years ago I tested it on a old piece of 100% rusty angle iron that was laying in the yard and threw it back out into yard. Also the electric utility in my area have been routinely spraying rust converter on the steel towers for the past 30 years instead of the aluminum colored paint they once used. They don't paint over the rust converter either so now the towers are black. In a government study Rust-o-leum rust reformer was proven to be the most effective.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
steel towers are made out of ASTM - A606 core-ten its chemical makeup only patinas which then chemically prevents further rusting.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
old solid metal fence. Want the patina or rust, paint whatever but want to knock off loose and then seal to prevent flaking - making a headboard so rust particles at inapproriate times is to be avoided.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Joe,

I would pressure wash, hit with the heavy spots with a brush to knock off the flake, let sit to patina the scratch marks, then hit with a few coats of clear paint.

that will keep the rust flakes from your inappropriate areas

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Clean the existing rust off real good then coat real good with vinegar (or soak in vinegar for about an hour if you can). Then wash the vinegar off. It will give it a good surface rust almost immediately so you get the patina you want, but since it's just surface oxidation, you can clear coat and it will never penetrate in to the metal.

bigdee

Commander
steel towers are made out of ASTM - A606 core-ten its chemical makeup only patinas which then chemically prevents further rusting.

I did not know that. In 1968 A ice storm collapsed hundreds of those towers in my state. I salvaged a bunch of it and it was tough to remove bolts because they had so many layers of aluminum paint that the sockets would not fit. I built utility trailers with some of that steel and come to think about it they never rusted away. I looked at one I built 50 years ago and abandoned in the woods and it had only moderate rust! I thought it was all that paint protecting it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
interesting history lesson.

well, I have enough patina including 20 layers of paint, rust, pink paint blobs etc. The only area i needed the vinegar was on the lock assembly i cut off. Did that, wire brush on the drill for an hour or so, acetone wash and did my third layer of poly last night.

Now to figure out how to frame and hang on the wall. About 50 lbs. Will will be using the wall studs whichever path I choose.

highfigh

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2005 Astro cargo van that came from Phoenix and after 7 Milwaukee Winters, the rear bumper looked like crap, so I decided to clean it up and paint it. It was a blue-gray that didn't match anything else on the van and I had already painted the grill black, so I decided to go with black for the rear bumper, too. I removed the plastic step pad, sanded the roughest rust off and then used some acid to etch whatever it could, which was just about nothing, so I washed it off and let it dry. Then, I got some Rustoleum Rust Restorer and gave it a good coat. Not knowing if the nice weather would hold, I gave it a good coat of spray-on bed liner before it was fully dry and before that was dry, I gave it a good coat of Krylon low gloss Black paint. It dried quickly and this Summer, I looked at a boat, which I was allowed to take home to work on because it's a lot easier if I don't have to lug all of my tools around. As I backed up, I saw the woman speaking, but couldn't hear a word. I did, however, hear the clunk of the bumper hitting the trailer tongue.Barely left a mark. When I bought a boat last month, I backed up and the guy said something I couldn't hear and once again, I heard a clunk. Barely a mark, same place. Looks great, stays clean and none of it has flaked off.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
RJ must be bored .. So he’s just trying to knock some rust off ...;)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
or knock something...

just busy with the back patio and the resulting re-arrangement of the entire house now that both boys are gone. One not coming back to TN as he loves the PNW and the other doing well, lives close enough doesn't need 'his' room just a bed in case he drinks too much. So redesigning the layout and function of the house in addition to the addition.