Sizes for Nesting Tubing?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I'm planning a hitch mounted "T" rack for my truck. Planning on using round tubing, two sizes, so one nests/slides/rotates inside the other. Wondering what gap between the ID of the outside tubing and OD of the inside tubing I should be looking for to insure free movement without binding, yet as much stability as possible.

Any thoughts?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you want to insure no binding, you need to have a bushing of some kind.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
We build handrails for tooling where we use 2" Sch 80 pipe with 1-1/2" Sch 40 for the inside piece. These are made to be removable and 90% of the time we have no issues.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
if you want to insure no binding, you need to have a bushing of some kind.

I have a lathe so could actually make a pretty good bushing arrangement. However, what I'd gain in rotation and stability I think I'd lose in the ability to easily telescope up and down. In any event, it would be way over-kill for the simple little device I'm contemplating.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
We build handrails for tooling where we use 2" Sch 80 pipe with 1-1/2" Sch 40 for the inside piece. These are made to be removable and 90% of the time we have no issues.

That might be a good model. Any idea what the 2" Sch. 80 ID and 1-1/2" Sch. 40 OD measurements are? If not, I can probably find an on-line reference.

I took a look at a local metals supply outfit's inventory. They sell nesting square tubing - where the difference between the inner and outer nesting pieces is about 3/16". That may be a target for my application.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
That might be a good model. Any idea what the 2" Sch. 80 ID and 1-1/2" Sch. 40 OD measurements are? If not, I can probably find an on-line reference.

I took a look at a local metals supply outfit's inventory. They sell nesting square tubing - where the difference between the inner and outer nesting pieces is about 3/16". That may be a target for my application.

OK, that was easy - looks like the difference between the 2" ID and 1-1/2" OD is a bit over 1/32".

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a lathe so could actually make a pretty good bushing arrangement. However, what I'd gain in rotation and stability I think I'd lose in the ability to easily telescope up and down. In any event, it would be way over-kill for the simple little device I'm contemplating.

if your simply telescoping and could live with rattling noise. they make pre-perforated tubing in both square and round for that reason.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#square-tubing/=1drq0ny

if you plan any rotation while loaded, round its the way to go and a couple of delrin bearings makes life easy to prevent binding. if you were building a small crane, that is what I would do.