Where have all the machine shops gone???

Volphin

Lieutenant
I'm getting ready to pass down a vehicle to my son... a 2011 Sonata with a GDI 2.4L. The vehicle has 197K on the clock. It still runs but consumes oil at an astonishing rate... probably from worn or seized rings. We were going to yank the engine and have the head remanned and block punched 30 over. I can't find a shop that can do this work in my area any more. Where did they all go? Are we just a society of parts changers now? Sigh... Anyway, if anyone has a recommendation for a great import machine shop near eastern TN, let me know.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I'm getting ready to pass down a vehicle to my son... a 2011 Sonata with a GDI 2.4L. The vehicle has 197K on the clock. It still runs but consumes oil at an astonishing rate... probably from worn or seized rings. We were going to yank the engine and have the head remanned and block punched 30 over. I can't find a shop that can do this work in my area any more. Where did they all go? Are we just a society of parts changers now? Sigh... Anyway, if anyone has a recommendation for a great import machine shop near eastern TN, let me know.

Darn you are to far away or I could make some great recommendations, but being honest with you, you can probably look on the big auction website and find a new or reman'd one for about the same price you would pay to get that one done, those high volume sellers are not expensive these days.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Try B&R Automotive in Knoxville, TN. I am not in that area but have family there. BIL used them a few times. If you are familiar with Knoxville, they are on Chapman Rd.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
problem with cars like the sonata is you can get a low mileage motor from a wreck for about $500. you cant get parts that cheap

the good automotive machine shops are still in business. the machine shop i used to use in Wisconsin was Engine Builder Magazines top builder many years in a row. down here, I found a guy thru Innovation Marine.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Crate engines and long blocks from the engine manufacturers really put a dent in the local machine shops margins. The total cost is far cheaper to get a complete engine, delivered, than to disassemble, inspect, machine, order needed parts, wait for parts and then hope the guy putting it together isn't distracted by something. Warranty is often easier to deal with.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Have to agree with scott and jimmbo.My friend bought a dead sonata (engine issue) and for a few hundred at a jobber or dealer had new parts and a great running car.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Thanks for the responses guys... looks like I'll be just swapping the engine. It's the lowest cost solution, but I'm still irritated because I like my engine specs "just so". Oh well, no need to get so picky with his first ride I guess.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I know it's a bit of a drive but there is a good engine shop in Blountville just outside of Kingsport.

There is a machine shop here in Elizabethton that still rebuilds complete engines, but he is always backed up. I used to say it was because they were a good shop, but now they're about the only option so take that for what it's worth.

The few shops around here mostly do engine swaps as opposed to complete rebuilds, and the ones that do ( Like the shop in Blountvile ) are really only rebuilding high performance engines as opposed to daily drivers.