Bonding firebrick to stone outdoors - what to use?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I'm about to make a new fireplace for the back yard, just a simple one, nothing fancy.

The plan is to construct it using landscaping stone blocks, and I want to line the inside of the walls with firebrick. I'm planning to stick the stones together with Liquid Nails Fuze-It. I figure that will be OK if I apply it mostly toward the outer edges away from the highest heat from the fire. I don't know why I can't put the link in for this, but the stones are "Olde Manor Allegheny Retaining Wall Block (Common: 4-in x 12-in; Actual: 3.5-in x 11.5-in)" from Lowes.

Any thoughts on how to bond the firebrick to the stones for outdoors? Every product I've seen says "not for exterior use", so it looks like regular stove cement won't fit the bill. :confused:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, I wonder if the special mortar for putting chimney flues up would work. Comes in a little tub. Red. Premixed. Not cheap, maybe 25 for a gallon. I think it's clay. Ask a mason that does chimneys and they will know the name.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Any mortar designed for stone will do the job, you just have to make sure to mix it to the right stiffness so that it will glue the bricks to the outside of the landscape stones. Check with one of your local rock or stone shops and explain what you are doing and they should be able to give you a good recommendation on what types of products would work best in your particular application.

Outdoor fireplaces and pizza ovens are very popular these days so anybody with experienced shop will have done what you are doing.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Thanks, there is a brick & stone place not too far away, I think they sell firebrick too. Didn't think of that local resource!