Windows 10 update 1803

bassman284

Commander
Anybody else being crushed under this pig? My 3 year old tower seems to be handling it reasonably (with a few glitches) but my 9 year old lap top has been rendered all but useless. I'm no longer able to control brightness level of the display. For awhile it was painfully bright but today it's coming up so dim there are a lot of pages where I can't read anything.

I've been looking online for a way to get rid of this update (virus/trojan/worm) and found a few suggestions. I thought I'd check in here before I throw caution to the wind and click the button, possibly destroying the laptop forever. TIA.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Check for a BIOS update for your laptop.

And maybe the LT is giving up the ghost. All my LT's that have croaked are because of display problems.

tpenfield

Staff member
I just got 1803 on my work laptop . . it's fine. I would not expect much out of a 9 year old computer. Might be time to upgrade. :)

alldodge

Staff member
I think new computers will do 10 fine, but for me all my old ones either have or are getting win7 pro

tpenfield

Staff member
I think new computers will do 10 fine, but for me all my old ones either have or are getting win7 pro

Don't tell anybody, but I found a Dell i5 quad core w/ 8 GB RAM in the trash . . . All it needed was a hard drive. :thumb:

bassman284

Commander
Check for a BIOS update for your laptop.

And maybe the LT is giving up the ghost. All my LT's that have croaked are because of display problems.

Oh yeah, it's an old one and the T4300 processor is getting slammed to its knees every little bit. But I still kind of like it and I find it interesting that it gave up the ghost immediately after the 1803 completed installation. Coincidence? I DON'T THINK SO!!

Interesting thing on the LP, it obliterated the video driver and replaced with the Microsoft Basic Video or something like that. ON both computers it decided that 1024/768 was the RECOMMENDED resolution. The Control Panel has also been obliterated so it took me a while to find a place where I could change this. I thought of trying System Restore but that apparently no longer exists either.

Anyway, I'm still able to do a littler web surfing as long as I'm satisfied to let Microsoft decide what things are going to look like when I get to them. I'm about to put both computers in a gunny sack and drown 'em in the creek.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
No issues with my elderly dell 5420 lt.Though I did replace the harddrive with a 1 tb hybred drive.

bassman284

Commander
No issues with my elderly dell 5420 lt.Though I did replace the harddrive with a 1 tb hybred drive.

Yah, that's what I understood from Woody on Windows. Some people are having no issues at all while others, like me, are tearing their hair out. As I said, my tower appears to have almost no issues except for the stupid resolution reset. And the missing Control Panel. I don't know, has the Control Panel been gone for a long time and I just didn't notice?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have it and it is fine although it's a brand new computer I just put together.

bassman284

Commander
Did you type "control panel" in the "type here to search" area? Should pop right up.

Yup did that. Later found it on the menu under Windows System. The display problem was due to the fact that the update replaced the display driver on my laptop with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter circa 2006. This accounted for the very low resolution and inability to control display brightness among other things. I finally figured out how to update the Microsoft driver to a later version which DOES allow higher resolution and brightness control. It's OK for now and I may just dump this laptop for something newer.

Thanks for the response, bruce.