Anti Malware Software

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any tips on some truly free anti Malware software? Where to find.

Thanks.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Any tips on some truly free anti Malware software? Where to find.

Thanks.

I have never run any, but my wife uses iobit advanced systemcare and has for years, when I need to check something I go to Housecall and run their online scanner

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
. So I assume these, like HouseCall run a scan and clean?

Computer dummy here.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yup....
They're not the type that'll tell you something is on your machine, then ask you to buy something to remove it..

They'll scan and remove..

They do have paid versions which they may or may not advertise, but you don't have to buy anything...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I use MalwareBytes. Microsoft tech support installed it a couple of years ago during a trouble shoot/tech support call. The Full version installs for a one or two week trial, then it reverts to the free version if you don't ante up. However, every couple of months a complete upgrade happens and then the Free trial starts again.

As for AVG, I used it for years until about a month ago when a trial version of something was holding me hostage and would not allow me to revert to the free version, so Hosta La Viesta.

tpenfield

Staff member
Sophos has a free version. I run it on my Mac, but it has versions for both Win and Mac computers.

There is also Microsoft Security Essentials for Win 10 (aka Windows Defender in Win 7)