Impact wrench recommendations?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi all, I’m looking to pick up a 1/2” impact wrench for weekend DIY car/truck projects. I’d like something that isn’t too large and that won’t break the bank. (I don’t need a mechanic-quality tool.) I could go air or battery powered. Any recommendations?

alldodge

Staff member
There is a big difference between battery and air. What are you wanting to remove or install?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have a fairly powerful electric Milwaukee impact wrench, looking for something a little more compact for nuts and bolts torqued to 150 foot pounds or less. Getting ready to do some front suspension work on my F150.

alldodge

Staff member
The dewalt 1/4 inch impact drill driver can produces 117 ft lbs
the DCF899B 1/2 produces 700 ft lb

I like the IR compact 1/2 air. This is the same as the Craftsman which cost less and does 1350 ft lb with four settings. In any case I like the air models for over all because of cost and versatility

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Th1000 nuff said I think...got it off the snappy truck repo drawer. 100$ 1000 ft lbs.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Aircat brand 1000 th I think.

small portable powerful. Better than any name brand snappy or Mac I have ever had.

all over the net, they work HARD.

bigdee

Commander
I have a IR that is 40 years old. Also have a HF air and a HF electric that works just as well.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi all, after doing a bit more reading and consulting the checkbook (and the Admiral), I decided to try an inexpensive model: http://a.co/7EMEgPw. It's an AC Delco 1/2" impact from Amazon. It was only $31. I know it's not in the same category as something like the Ingersoll Rand, but for my modest and occasional uses it was worth the gamble.

I used it on my F150 front end project and it worked really well. It's quite heavy and seems well made. My compressor really isn't an appropriate size for running a lot of air tools, but even so, the impact wrench worked well. If I really get into doing this kind of work, I might need to move up to a higher grade tool, but for now, this does what I need.

Thanks again for everyone's input on this.

Jim

bigdee

Commander
Hi all, after doing a bit more reading and consulting the checkbook (and the Admiral), I decided to try an inexpensive model: http://a.co/7EMEgPw. It's an AC Delco 1/2" impact from Amazon. It was only $31. I know it's not in the same category as something like the Ingersoll Rand, but for my modest and occasional uses it was worth the gamble.

I used it on my F150 front end project and it worked really well. It's quite heavy and seems well made. My compressor really isn't an appropriate size for running a lot of air tools, but even so, the impact wrench worked well. If I really get into doing this kind of work, I might need to move up to a higher grade tool, but for now, this does what I need.

Thanks again for everyone's input on this.

Jim

Glad it worked out. Also glad you did not overspend on a tool that is only used occasionally. It allowed you to complete your project for $31.....that is a deal for a prudent budget!