Automotive Quiz

dolluper

Captain
Car 2012 chevy impala. Battery test on posts of battery 12.3 volts. Move leads to terminal connectors reads 10.5 volts. Car doesn't start , no dash lights when key turned to start;no headlights with headlights switch turned on. What's the problem?,

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well, are the connections clean? Are they the cheap screw together type, is the cable corroded inside the sheath, is the main ground at the motor clean, and at the starter? Did you dump the vehicle in the lake??? Lots of things could be going on....lol

NYBo

Admiral
In addition to what the others have said, your battery needs to be charged once you get the connections fixed.

bigdee

Commander
Not sure what your referring to as "terminal connections". If you mean voltage at terminal connection on battery vs battery post that would simply be a bad connection. Corrosion or loose connection. If terminal is further downstream that could be a fusible link in cable.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the cables off the battery, clean the terminals and the cable clamps to shiny metal and re-attach.

dolluper

Captain
All the above was done. Grounds cleaned and tight .battery cables ohm tested fine . I fixed the problem elsewhere. Not the starter connections either.The big clue was the different voltages. Hint think series

Last edited:

dolluper

Captain
Here's the answer guy's it was a loose connection at the fuse box Junction block . We have to rethink when it comes to the new cars,new systems. This car has more than a cable battery to starter. It is split like a harness that ends at the battery positive ,there 1 connector going to fuse box Junction, 1to altenator, which includes a separate wiring plug altenator connector,plus 1 going to starter. So in fact it is a harness and cables. That is why they have a battery voltage sensor on the battery negative cables,also more than 1. This battery voltage sensor signals the computer when to turn on the altenators voltage regulator to charge the battery . Sooooooo clear a mud now. When you see the voltage drop you have check all this not just battery connections as we did growing up. We'll some of us lol.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Exactly, ^^ There are many variables involved with most modern setups. Start at the basics, and keep looking. .5 volts not getting to the proper place can cause a lot of codes going off for things not related to the real issue.

dolluper

Captain
Oh it was going within an hour . I put it up here to teach others. Plus l let out of one of my tricks to find the potential problem fast not assuming anything.

bigdee

Commander
This was impossible to answer because of the way you worded it. You did not reference where you were checking voltage.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
This was impossible to answer because of the way you worded it. You did not reference where you were checking voltage.
Agreed.

The most correct answer is to sell the 2012 Chevy Impala since its a piece of junk car! :)

sam60

Captain
Agreed.

The most correct answer is to sell the 2012 Chevy Impala since its a piece of junk car! :)

Bruce my friend, I must respectfully Disagree with you on this topic. I will leave the Engineering to you but mine has been a great car while getting 29 MPG with a 3,000' change in elevation twice a day. Hope all is good with you and I envy your retirement! Enjoy!...Mike.

sam60

Captain
My '99 Continent is recliner on Wheals. No car payments on 3 cars and and a diesel pusher, but that might change when I buy our Grandson a beater pickup. :facepalm:

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Haven't had a truck/car note since '12; not really looking either; all 3 trucks running good. I did look at a '17 Ford Lariat;
( no sink); only 55K. Didn't tell Her.