Lake water system

NYBo

Admiral
I get my domestic water supply from my lake. The previous owner set up two separate but interconnected supply systems:
1. Submersible pump hanging off my dock. This is currently my active system but the pressure the pump can supply is dropping and I have a feeling the pump is on the way out.
2. Shallow well pump in the basement. The pump works but the supply line is broken somewhere out in the lake.

I can fairly easily connect the shallow well pump to the supply line for the submersible and there is a check valve inside the house on this line. Would I need to remove the submersible pump and install a foot valve or could I leave it in place? I know I could just replace the submersible pump, but I would rather not, due to the cost. I also don't like the idea of 220 VAC running right next to my dock. The water is also a bit cold right now!

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. The town has approved extending municipal water to my neighborhood. However, it is likely to be a couple of years before this is done.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
There are many ways to set up pumping and piping systems, very difficult to analyze just looking at words - maybe to start develop a line diagram showing elevations and distances. Then an evaluation can be made, select proper pumps, pipe sizes, etc. They are pretty simple systems, but I think you need to understand the elevation and pressure heads (you can probably ignore velocity head), before deciding on system configuration.

bigdee

Commander
Single suction pipe will not theoretically lift water above 30 feet. At 30 feet suction equals atmospheric pressure. I would not attempt above 20 feet. Above that you need 2 pipes with a jet.....more $$ than a $145 submersible pump. That submersible pump will also give you 60 psi and more GPM.

NYBo

Admiral
Head for the shallow well pump to the pressure tank is about 8 feet, assuming that it is measured from the lake surface. I guess my question boils down to whether a dead submersible pump would allow water to be pulled through it by the shallow well pump. I would rather not have a submersible pump next to my dock because of the potential for current leakage. Or is that not a legitimate concern?

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and put on my wetsuit and install a foot valve where the submersible pump is. The pipe for the submersible is winterized, the one for the other pump isn't.

bigdee

Commander
Head for the shallow well pump to the pressure tank is about 8 feet, assuming that it is measured from the lake surface. I guess my question boils down to whether a dead submersible pump would allow water to be pulled through it by the shallow well pump. I would rather not have a submersible pump next to my dock because of the potential for current leakage. Or is that not a legitimate concern?

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and put on my wetsuit and install a foot valve where the submersible pump is. The pipe for the submersible is winterized, the one for the other pump isn't.

Yes it should pull through unless gunked up or check valve is stuck. Impeller will turn when water is being pulled through it if motor isn't locked up.